what kind of fish?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
jeff98208
Aquanaut

what kind of fish?

Post by jeff98208 »

i have now seen 2 of these little guys, and i still have no idea what kind of fish they are?. ](*,) :dontknow: later!

good day!
jeff
:supz:
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Hi Jeff. It is Striped Perch, Embiotoca lateralis. Likes to swim in small schools, very common in winter.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hey Jeff, watch this board for Janna (NWScubamom's) next fish ID class. Usually a couple of times a year an organization sponsors her and she does them for free, although you can pay and get your PADI cert if you're so inclined.

Class is SO worth it, along with the Invert ID class... I'd pony up the bucks (and I have) to take them. It adds so much to your diving!

Many moons ago we set up a Nwdiveclub class and had Janna come up and teach it. Unfortunately only 3 folks showed out of the 7 or so who said they'd come, so it wasn't really worth her time. If there was enough interest I'm sure she'd think about doing another one(s).

I need to spend some scuba units on some of the great books out there!
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

deal! thatks tom, and than-x jan. god only knows i might take that class (provided i can find the place its held at).
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

After I took a fish ID class, I had a new appreciation for what I was seeing. I actually starting writing down what I was seeing and it was easier for me to remember the differences between the different fish. I found I was having more fun (is that possible???) on my dives too.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Huskychemist
Dive-aholic

And...after the class...

Post by Huskychemist »

you can start filling out REEF Surveys that help keep track of the life around here.

(Well, you can do surveys before you take the class also...but the class really helped me!)

I took Janna's class in June of last year, and it made a big difference in my IDing skills. I had already worked on IDing stuff by asking questions, looking at websites, books, etc. But putting it all together in one day, looking at the most common critters, was really helpful.

And the day after we took Janna's class, coachrenz and I were diving Redondo and spotted some of the invasive tunicate Ciona savignyi. Pretty auspicious timing, I must say.

From my biased perspective, the class is a great way to increase your diving skill and enjoyment.

Have fun! Happy critter watching.
Happy Diving!

Lowell, aka Huskychemist

http://scuba.huskychemist.org
coachrenz
Aquanaut

Post by coachrenz »

The REEF Website not only has links to be able to order FREE survey forms, but there is a pretty good online PNW Fish and Invert ID quiz. IT is a great way to start learning what things you might be seeing.

There are actually quizzes for lots of different areas. An opportunity to brush up on the things you might see while doing your warm water diving.

Tim
REEF AAT
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Hi guys! Thanks for the nice comments.

Just to let you know, there are NO free courses on the horizon so far this year, so you might want to think about putting together a group of 5+ divers if you'd like me to come on up your way and teach a class. We can always do it in a shop or someone's home, either way is fine.

Figured I should let you know what's going on, especially for those of you holding onto the hope of taking a FREE class - there's no sponsors for any of those at this time.

Heads up!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

well if you do come up to the north end, or maybe edmonds, i'll come. however i'll be in leavensworth the week end of the 26th thru that week end.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Free or not, well worth it!

Who wants to put something together? I've taken both classes, otherwise I'd step up!

Location, sign up, $$ up front to make sure it's worth it for Janna?

Come on NWDiveClub! :rr:
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

yes, I agree, the classes as SO worthwhile. I've taken them both and heartily recommend not only the classes, but Janna in particular as an instructor. You won't find any better, and certainly not any more entertaining.

-Valerie