fantastic thread on drysuit undergarments

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: fantastic thread on drysuit undergarments

Post by spatman »

interesting read. thanks for the link.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Cool! No. Wait. Warm! :supz:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

thats a pretty cool post for sure!!

I'm heading to REI for a little extra layer of warmth! :)
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

If this is so good how about a summary for those of us who are not decostopers?
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Way too much info to rewrite. Worth it to just go look.

Sent from my HTC Magic using Tapatalk
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

It's a very good thread, but be aware that the person who wrote it concludes that there are no situations he has encountered where he could justify Thinsulate insulation. If you are like me, diving THICK Thinsulate and still cold, some of his recommendations about Polartec being to seem a little thinner.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

I agree with Lynne. His warmth value seems pretty subjective. Nonetheless, there are some very good comparisons of materials that individuals can use to form their own best case scenario.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I agree the information is quite subjective. I did learn from it though. I think the biggest omission was diver mobility. Some of the insulation systems criticized in other categories may excel when it comes to mobility, which I think is an important consideration.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LCF wrote:It's a very good thread, but be aware that the person who wrote it concludes that there are no situations he has encountered where he could justify Thinsulate insulation. If you are like me, diving THICK Thinsulate and still cold, some of his recommendations about Polartec being to seem a little thinner.
yeah the scale is wacked
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

agreed :)

though richard and lynne, i sometimes feel like we're the only nutballs on the planet who think that 400g thinsulate plus 100g polartech undies and vests and whatnot isn't warm enough and dream of aerogel and heated suites for sub 2 hr dives ;)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

I like how he explains the different fibers and how they respond to water, dampness vs soaked through. Never even thought of wool as a main material. And I don't think he does either, just comparing all fibers. Maybe that's why our Canadian friends call them "woolies" (woolys).

Although, as I personally have a different cold tolerance level my choices in materials and thickness differ from him. But great info and I will choose underlayers more wisely now.
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

CaptnJack wrote:
LCF wrote:It's a very good thread, but be aware that the person who wrote it concludes that there are no situations he has encountered where he could justify Thinsulate insulation. If you are like me, diving THICK Thinsulate and still cold, some of his recommendations about Polartec being to seem a little thinner.
yeah the scale is wacked
Come on Richard, you should know by now that a battered used-up 200G Polartech is good enough down to 44F's...

Honestly, as soon as I saw the comments RE: Thinsulate being "too hot" i disregarded the entire thread as not being useful to me.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I also find my smart wool long underwear less desirable than my patagonia capilene. Wool holds moisture to a much greater degree and I can really tell the difference after an hour. The need for crush proofing I have ample experience with. Its why the Seamar knit wool gloves work so well IMHO. Those things are not the best materials or design but the weave is downright crushproof.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

limeyx wrote:Honestly, as soon as I saw the comments RE: Thinsulate being "too hot" i disregarded the entire thread as not being useful to me.
i found that if i calibrated it to my own experiences, it was quite informative.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

spatman wrote:
i found that if i calibrated it to my own experiences, it was quite informative.
= wisdom :supz:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:
limeyx wrote:Honestly, as soon as I saw the comments RE: Thinsulate being "too hot" i disregarded the entire thread as not being useful to me.

Too bad my experience started with the "too hot" 200gm thinsulate, then proceeded off the charts to 400gm thinsulate, and finally went for supposedly sun spot temperatures with a weezle extreme+ :angelblue:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:Too bad my experience started with the "too hot" 200gm thinsulate, then proceeded off the charts to 400gm thinsulate, and finally went for supposedly sun spot temperatures with a weezle extreme+ :angelblue:
so did the sun spots work out for you in the end, or did you need to add a few layers of molten lava underneath?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Too bad my experience started with the "too hot" 200gm thinsulate, then proceeded off the charts to 400gm thinsulate, and finally went for supposedly sun spot temperatures with a weezle extreme+ :angelblue:
so did the sun spots work out for you in the end, or did you need to add a few layers of molten lava underneath?
molten lava only required for deco ;)
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

CaptnJack wrote:
Ooh! You have a good source for it? I used to have one, but I sent him several emails recently and he never responded. I finally called him, and got a recorded message with nothing but shrill screaming and sirens in the background.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Penopolypants wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Ooh! You have a good source for it? I used to have one, but I sent him several emails recently and he never responded. I finally called him, and got a recorded message with nothing but shrill screaming and sirens in the background.
Can't say, this being a family board and all :angelblue:
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

spatman wrote:
No, he's still as white & pasty as before :)
jeffgerritsen
Dive-aholic

Post by jeffgerritsen »

Yep,
the whole concept of "feeling warm" is so subjective. The only thing I can add to the discussion is to add a base layer of poly propylene (or any other fibre natural or otherwise) to wick moisture away from the skin so one doesn't "feel" cold. Again this is so subjective.

As a male, I perspire so profusely that sometimes I can't tell if my dry suit leaked or it was just sweat forming prior to entry on a sunny day. My wife on the other hand suffers from a medical condition where she pretty much doesn't sweat. So on hot days she carries around a spray bottle of water to act as artificial sweat. Now in my case, during the summer, I could take two showers a day just to remove the oily sweat, as where my wife has to apply lotion to prevent dry skin and only showers a couple times a week. Go figure, if we could only combine our two extremes, life would be good!
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

I've been laying wool long johns under my Whites MK2 under my DUI Thinsulate 400

I was plenty warm after my dive

I could barely lift my feet over the beach debris to get to the water

I had to add 16 pounds of lead

i look like the michelin man, before he got all computer generated and nimble
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

I've been diving some Under Armor under 200g Thinsulate forever, but lately it's just not getting it. I think the undergarment I wear (including the 200g Thinsulate) has lost its (admittedly minimal) loft. Things have changed with my mass/volume ratio too, so I think it is time to layer up and go do a weighting test dive again.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir