Dive Ladder Recovery

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
sitkadiver
Submariner

Dive Ladder Recovery

Post by sitkadiver »

There was a federally funded salvage operation here in town for a few years, but due to poor management the whole thing went pear shaped.

One of the items that was purchased new was a dive ladder that mounted on the side of a 32ft. Le Claire seiner. After the project finished and everything was sold off at rock bottom prices, the new boat owner had no use for the ladder. The ladder sat on the dock for months until some unknown person got sick and tired of walking around it and pitched it over the side. It had been underwater for 6 - 8 months until today.
IMG_2274.JPG
IMG_2275.JPG
My buddy Herb came along for the adventure in the Harbor. We were planning to float it and walk it down the dock, but thought we could just put a couple bags on it, and then bottom walk it to Diver_Dives boat and then float it just as easy.

Here's a picture of Herb getting the bags situated:
IMG_2276.JPG

Trying to swim it, wasn't an option, but bottom walking is easier when dragging a load. It only took 15 minutes to go the 100 yards or so we had to cover.

Of course, bottom walking only kicks up a "little bit" of silt.....
IMG_2278.JPG
Once we got it to the surface we found that there was no room for it on Dave's boat, except of course for right in front of the door!! ha ha :smt064
IMG_2280.JPG
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
whatevah
Aquanaut

Re: Dive Ladder Recovery

Post by whatevah »

This reminds me of the ladder from a friend's boat. One day we were spearing Lingcod at a favorite spot - me, the guy who owned the boat and another good friend. The ladder is one of those fold out affairs - the type that hooks over the gunnel. Well, after the last diver returns and boards, the ladder is accidentally left in place when our driver starts the run back to the boat launch. The ladder slips off the side and sinks. About three years later, I happened upon it - was narc'd enough not to recognize it at first - but by the time I got it back to the boat I had full recollection of the ladder and the day we lost it - brought a smile to my face. Another friend had the cover plate from her redundant 2nd stage unthread and fall off during a dive at Stubbs Island in Weynton Passage BC. Two years later, I stumbled upon it and we finally put that regulator back into service. I love to reclaim stuff like that from the sea. Thanks for sharing your story!
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir