unusual pygmy poacher

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

unusual pygmy poacher

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

I saw this guy and then did a double take. i have not seen (or at least not noticed) pygmy poachers with as many side cirri as this one has. His side almost looks hairy. I assume it is a pygmy (single cirrus on at corner of mouth).

Sorry the picture is not crisper...
poacher pygmy_3587.JPG
Chenari
Dive-aholic

Re: unusual pygmy poacher

Post by Chenari »

Almost looks to me like he's just a bit dirty. Or... could it be possible he has something growing off his side?
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

That *IS* weird. Could it possibly be a Gray Starsnout? When I was showing some pics of dead (what I thought were) Pygmy Poachers at Sund Rock to one of our local experts, he thought they were Starsnouts. Both seem to look a lot alike.

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

The write-up in Lamb 2nd edition does not show the hairy sides for the gray starsnout but looking at that section, there are several of the smaller poachers that have not been on my radar screen. Seems like i need to not assume all those tiny poachers I am seeing are pygmy poachers...
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

It looks like a dirty pygmy. I've seen hydroids and bryozoans growing on poachers before (fourhorns are especially prone to this) and I'm pretty sure that's what you're seeing here.