Treasure hunt??

General banter about diving and why we love it.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Treasure hunt??

Post by enchantmentdivi »

No Treasure Hunt reports yet? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Jenn
-Aaron-
Dive-aholic

Re: Treasure hunt??

Post by -Aaron- »

A buddy of mine that won a trip for two to Bonaire at the Treasure Hunt two years ago won a live aboard trip to the Maldives in the Treasure Hunt this year! :O. Can't believe the luck he has! I'm jealous, sounds like an awesome trip. I was stuck home on Oregon this weekend and didn't make it up for the Expo, hope everyone had fun.
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

The guy who found the Treasure Chest with a $1000.00 in it, also found it last year. That is a LOT of "good luck"....
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Well, I moved up from a dive singles bag last time to a 5 mil farmer john wetsuit that is skycamo and hopefully fits my wife if she will be seen wearing it. Still fun tho! My dive partner got zilch.
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

A few years back I "won" a live aboard trip in Indonesia. Of course it was double occupancy and since I only got one spot it would have cost me about $6000 to go with my husband. Handing out 'coupons' is why I no longer go.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Shaker100
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Shaker100 »

I was not pleased. Dispite getting a "prize golf ball", I got nothing when it came to the drawing. Had I known that the prizes would not be based on what you found during the dive, I would have passed on it. It seemed to me that it was more or less set up to force everyone to go to the expo to get your "prize", only there wasn't a prize associated with every "prize ball". The free T-shirt they claimed you'll get for enrolling was not offered either. There were a lot of balls - there must have been a prize ball for every person that was enrolled in the dive down there. It was like they were dumped from a boat at -30 and -60 respectively. Nothing was hidden or required any skill. I was still coming across them after 20 mins of diving. I did see a guy lose his fins. A few people lost masks.

If you didn't go, you didn't miss anything and you saved $25 - 35 bucks and a Sunday morning.
hydrophytic veg
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

I thought the prize idea was better, less prizes but better quality....no snorkels this time! I didnt go into it expecting to win a free trip to indonesia, just to have a good time and maybe win something. It was fun, my dive partner got nothing either even tho he found golf balls. But he also had fun. Ill do it again. Maybe next time Ill win that trip, or maybe Ill get nothing but wet. Either way not a bad way to spend a morning. Besides, after doing the expo and checking the winner board, we hit redondo for an afternoon dive. Ended the day with food and beers at Engine House #9....all in all a good day.
Maybe expectations set to high?
Shaker100
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Shaker100 »

Find a "prize ball" = win a prize.

My expectations were about that high.
hydrophytic veg
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Shaker100 wrote:Find a "prize ball" = win a prize.

My expectations were about that high.
I missed that part of the advertisment. This is all I ever saw

"Divers will plunge for prizes at the largest Treasure Hunt in the Pacific Northwest in Tacoma, Washington on Sunday, April 10 at 9 a.m."
Held on Sunday morning, Pacific Northwest divers will storm Owen Beach in Point Defiance Park for all the action and prizes Treasure Hunt offers. The ninth annual dive extravaganza, part of Northwest Dive News’ Dive & Travel Expo weekend, will attract divers from all over the Northwest."
“Treasure Hunt 2011 is all new and improved” said Event Director and NWDN Publisher Rick Stratton. “This year’s event has many changes that will increase safety and improve the fun at the event.”
“Our prizes this year are outstanding – we have over $50,000 in cash and prizes donated this year. In addition to the Treasure Chest filled with $1,000 CASH, divers can win wetsuits, drysuits, regulators, trips and more."

Where did you see the "ball=prize" not trying to argue, really I didn't see that this year
Last edited by Waynne Fowler on Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Shaker100
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Shaker100 »

I am glad you had a good time. I didn't
hydrophytic veg
Shaker100
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Shaker100 »

What is the point of the golf ball (whatever you feel you need to call it)? if there is one for every diver in the "Treasure Hunt", then it's not a test of skill or even luck for that matter.

It's a reasonable assumption that finding a golf ball (prize ball, round thing, etc) equals a prize.

Where did you see "water" in that advertisement? Try not to argue, but there was a lot there.
hydrophytic veg
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

The web site for the Treasure Hunt stated everyone who got a ball got a prize. Then the site was changed. A lot of people are unhappy with how it went. Seems to be problems every year with the Treasure Hunt.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

I think everyones expectations are just too high. It isnt possible for every diver to win a fabulous prize, lets be realistic. These prizes are donated. I think they do a very good job making it work. Everyone just needs to be realistic, 150 divers arent all going on a dive trip!
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

What is the point of the golf balls then if you don't get a prize? The first year I went it was all fins and pushing (which I didn't know was possible underwater!). I got kicked, landed on, and hit about 500 times. Not my idea of fun. My friend did win a case of bottled water. lol
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Cera wrote:What is the point of the golf balls then if you don't get a prize? The first year I went it was all fins and pushing (which I didn't know was possible underwater!). I got kicked, landed on, and hit about 500 times. Not my idea of fun. My friend did win a case of bottled water. lol
just the reason why I dont do this event anymore....... :nutty:
Jeff Castor
Shaker100
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Shaker100 »

Cera wrote:What is the point of the golf balls then if you don't get a prize? The first year I went it was all fins and pushing (which I didn't know was possible underwater!). I got kicked, landed on, and hit about 500 times. Not my idea of fun. My friend did win a case of bottled water. lol
A case of bottled water:) AWESOME. It's better than a kick to the head or 500 kicks to the head.
hydrophytic veg
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

Gdog wrote:I think everyones expectations are just too high. It isnt possible for every diver to win a fabulous prize, lets be realistic. These prizes are donated. I think they do a very good job making it work. Everyone just needs to be realistic, 150 divers arent all going on a dive trip!
I'm not saying everyone is going to win a "FABULOUS PRIZE". But if the ad says every ball gets a prize.... you should get a prize.

Also the volunteers got signed up for the prize give away. I don't think that's right. People pay to enter and get nothing.
Shaker100
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Shaker100 »

wallyc72 wrote:The guy who found the Treasure Chest with a $1000.00 in it, also found it last year. That is a LOT of "good luck"....
Wow. What are the odds of that? Interesting...
hydrophytic veg
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

Shaker100 wrote:
wallyc72 wrote:The guy who found the Treasure Chest with a $1000.00 in it, also found it last year. That is a LOT of "good luck"....
Wow. What are the odds of that? Interesting...
Ya..
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

wallyc72 wrote:Also the volunteers got signed up for the prize give away. I don't think that's right. People pay to enter and get nothing.
Yup, that caused quite a stink when my husband won the inflatable boat that year......as a safety diver volunteer. He did save a life that year...or it might've been the year after that....or it might've been both...can't remember.
Jenn
Beetap
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Beetap »

A Ball should equal a prize, and number of balls should equal the number of prizes. Unclaimed prizes from lost balls, ballhogging, or whatever reason can be raffled off to those who did not get a ball. Max one prize per person. Upon exit you show your token and ball. There would still be people who took more than one ball, but at least there is still some skill involved. As it stands it's merely a raffle anyway. I'm OK with not everyone getting a prize as long as it doesn't say everyone will get a prize.

BTW, who do I talk to about rigging the $1000? I'll share it with the inside man too and I'm a better choice than the other guy because if he wins 3 years in a row it's gonna be even more obvious.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Wonder did they put the treasure chest in the same place as last year? They should put one of them trackable smart chips like they do cats and dogs so they know and track any balls. I also agree if you have any connection with the event you should not be able to win a prize.
Jeff Castor
Shaker100
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Shaker100 »

Beetap. I thought about your plan. It would be as simple as placing the chest at 80 ft (the max depth limit on the dive was 60 ft) at a predetermined location from the beach. You swim down to 80 ft, no one else follows. Why would they? your going off the range. It would explain why it took so long for the chest to be found despite the divers in that area being shoulder to shoulder. fyi - I was about 15 ft away from the winner's dive buddy when we started.
hydrophytic veg
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Lol...like the tracker in the chest idea...would take an inside person tho.
Again, I liked it, will dive it again, with not much expectation. If you enter it any other way, you may be disappointed. I remember the fiasco a few years back with the prizes, and I know Rick was pulling his hair out...(where did you think it went?). Everyone has a great idea on how it should be run, but not many step up and volunteer to do just that. The people who ran it this year I spoke with, and I feel they are really trying to make this event run as smoothly as possible.
Last time I went to Reno, I looked at it the same way.....dont enter expecting to hit the jackpot, just have fun.
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

They announced at the expo anyone who had a ball who didnt win a prize could claim their prize at the expo booth.
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.