Grounded AGAIN!!!!

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Grounded AGAIN!!!!

Post by ArcticDiver »

Was in Colorado in March indulging in my other favoritie hobby, bicycling. While I was there I was "blessed" with high winds that seemed to move around to be headwinds. One of the later days the last 15 miles of a 35 mile ride was into a 29mph headwind gusting to 39mph. Legs were a bit sore after that.

Then came home to chip a large driveway that had been given a good coating of ice while I was off playing in warm country.

But the final was a stuntman style fall on the ice that made me horizontal at head height and land on my back and butt. That was over 6 weeks ago. Ever since it has been valium and vicodin to keep me moving at all. Just got home from another visit to my doc. Lab work all looks good. We went through all the assessments again and agree I just have ripped up my butt and leg muscles. Just to be sure we are doing a MRI but with no pain or limited mobility in the back it is pretty unlikely the problems is there.

So, no biking. No diving. No heavy lifting. no climbing ladders. In short, no life until the muscles heal themselves and I can resume life. What a drag=!!! Three months till snow and I'm out of my favorite and indeed only joys. Bummer.

I am able to continue my bike mechanic course because I am not on a ladder or any other dangerous place when I get the muscle spasms.

It is a pain to be fragile. Don't any of you catch the disease.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Blaiz
Pelagic

Re: Grounded AGAIN!!!!

Post by Blaiz »

ouchies. sorry to hear it man

remember. enjoy your vicodin high. do NOT get addicted.
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Blaiz wrote:ouchies. sorry to hear it man

remember. enjoy your vicodin high. do NOT get addicted.

No danger. I do not like the feeling that comes with vicodin, diazepam or morphine. At various times I've had to use each of them. Do Not Like Them. But their feeling is preferable to pain.

I guess I'm a bit frustrated and depressed because I've got three whole months of summer and it looks like at least two of them are down the toilet.

f
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Man.....I am SO sorry to hear this! I hope that you are able to heal quickly!
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Being old sucks!! Things just don't heal like they used to. :rawlings: :rawlings:

Take your time, get well. It may be winter there by the time you heal but it's not everywhere!
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Dusty2 wrote:Being old sucks!! Things just don't heal like they used to. :rawlings: :rawlings:

Take your time, get well. It may be winter there by the time you heal but it's not everywhere!
Thanks for the encouragement youngster.

With the new car I bought my wife yesterday, lots of airline miles on the books and frugal living that has left some money in the bank I guesss I can find somewhere to go. It is just that when something takes this long to heal it raises the spectre of being one of those life changing things that doesn't heal and life changes to existence oriented around hospitals.

Just got home from the MRI. Now I know why the headphones. It was LOUD.
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Post by coach_izzy »

ArcticDiver wrote:It is just that when something takes this long to heal it raises the spectre of being one of those life changing things that doesn't heal and life changes to existence oriented around hospitals.

Our bodies are great at healing provided the conditions are proper. When healing is delayed or the same issues keep flaring up, one has to look at what the pioneer of Neurosomatic Therapy, Doctor Janet Travell, referred as "perpetuating factors". Unfortunately, it is not part of medicine mainstream, though there's plenty of excellent literature to validate it.

You may want to call Neurosomatic Educators at 727-388-4182 and ask them if there's a trained therapist in your area.

If you are ever in the Seattle area, holler and I may be able to help you address some of your issues.

Speedy recovery to you!
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
"A fit diver is a safer diver and a better buddy"
In Pain?
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

ArcticDiver wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:Being old sucks!! Things just don't heal like they used to. :rawlings: :rawlings:

Thanks for the encouragement youngster.

With the new car I bought my wife yesterday, lots of airline miles on the books and frugal living that has left some money in the bank I guesss I can find somewhere to go. It is just that when something takes this long to heal it raises the spectre of being one of those life changing things that doesn't heal and life changes to existence oriented around hospitals.

Ouch, hope everything recovers quickly... So, I take it you're not one of the oddballs who falls asleep in the MRI tube?

Jim (one of the oddballs)
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Not a chance of sleeping in the tube. I had a local latest hits station on the headset (I work out with a bunch of Stryker guys who just got to Afganistan a week or so ago) so I've developed a liking to their music. I almost couldn't hear it over the MRI noise.

I will follow Izzy's advise. For the first tme in years I will drive the SAG Wagon for the Tour de Cure instead of riding as Safety Biker to take care of injuries and other problems. My next dive trip is on hold. In short, thanks to your support and that of some locals I WILL survive.

By the way, was it one of y'all who prayed that I'd learn patience? Sure is coming true. Painfully, but I am learning.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Since I suffer from the ailments that result from not dying young, have endured MRI's, many surgeries (all injuries, no illness), and long recovery periods, you would think I might have some wisdom to offer. If so, you would be wrong. Encouragement yes, wisdom, no. Regarding patience, my son answered with all seriousness, "I tried it once for five minutes and it didn't work." It runs in the family. Enjoy your recovery.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.