Regulator set advice / opinions

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Regulator set advice / opinions

Post by Alaska-Herb »

I know this question can bring out a lot of opinions and that is really what I am hoping for. My LDS is a scuba pro shop and so that is what I have currently , because when i was certified i was told this is what you want. I dont believe that my instructor / lds led my wrong but now as I expand my skills and gear I want to make informed choices. I know there are a lot of other good brands out there so I thought I would go out and see what everyone was happy with. Scuba pro is difficult to deal with unless you have access to the local shop so it is time to branch out.

What I am looking for is a reasonable priced regulator set within the following parameters
1 must be suitable for cold water
2 must be Internet available
3 must be serviceable via sending it out and returned quickly
4 must be lite not only for no jaw fatigue but ease in travel
5 can't brake the bank

So let me know what you like and why please. If there is a good virtual dive shop that carries what you like that would really be helpful

Thanks
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Regulator set advice / opinions

Post by CaptnJack »

What do you have now and why are you replacing it?

Define "break the bank"? What is your desired price range?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

Capt jack
I am currently using a scuba pro set made up of a mk 25 1st and a g 250v 2nd. My pony set is a mk 2 with a 235 2nd My octo is a air2

I am not actually replacing the regs I just want another option for a couple of reasons

1 my LDS is having some pains and no longer has a dive professional on staff no dm or instructor no service tech etc My gear is all scuba pro and I am concerned about servicing everything with the way scuba pro is set up with everything required to go through the LDS. I had everything serviced as it was starting to hit the fan a couple of months ago so I have s year to get this worked out

2 I was thinking it would be nice to have a smaller more compact 2nd stage option I like the way the 250 breaths and i have not had sny icing or free flow problems i just was hoping to go a little smaller for another option

Finally as I will be shipping everything out for service it would be nice to have a little redundancy so that I am not stuck on land waiting for the postman
So who is using what and why
squid509
Avid Diver

Post by squid509 »

i use a C300 its not as big as the G250v and breaths just as good
another option is the A700 there nice and combact but a bit on the pricy side
doug7377
Avid Diver

Post by doug7377 »

mk25/s600 and stay with the air2 or get the s/600 for a octo
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Diverites are internet available, not too expensive, and Don Peterson in Port Angeles can service them (along with the scubapros).
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

I'll throw my suggestion for HOG into the mix. I easily fits all of your criteria with the exception of being "lite". The 1st stage (so not what you put in your mouth) is no feather weight, but its reasonable. You can get part kits on the internet for very low prices and they can be easily serviced locally. The best part is the price, they will most definitely not break the bank.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

Thanks everyone for the input. I would really like to hear what about your rig that makes you really like it. I have limited dive buddies up here so I can't really walk to them and say I see you dive a HOG how do you like it and how has the service been on it. But again thanks for taking the time to provide the input
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

The HOG regulators are well built and have very thoughtful features. They are *Very* similar to the nice apex regulators, almost close enough to share parts kits. The 1st stages have swivel turrets, a 5th low pressure port on the bottom, etc. The 2nd stages have venturi levers and breathing adjustment knobs. To top it off they breathe very well and cost a fraction of most other manufacturers.

HOG has a different story as well. They make their parts kits available online for low cost, and even allow divers to take a training course in maintaining their own regulators. As mentioned earlier they are very similar to apex regulators, so getting other people to service them is not a problem.

Cost wise you can expect for a 1st and 2nd stage plus 1 lp hose to run about $260. You could even pick up an entire singles setup with 1st, 2 2nd stages, hoses, and SPG for about $500.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

Trevor thanks for the write up that information is very helpful I just may be diving a HOG soon. Is there a Internet based shop that carries HOG that you would recommend . I was looking at them at one site but they ou carried one model of HoG regulators and I am pretty sure that there is more than one hog out there.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Alaska-Herb wrote:Trevor thanks for the write up that information is very helpful I just may be diving a HOG soon. Is there a Internet based shop that carries HOG that you would recommend . I was looking at them at one site but they ou carried one model of HoG regulators and I am pretty sure that there is more than one hog out there.
As far as I know there is only one second stage. There is a cold water first stage or a regular first stage......
TDL usually has good prices on those regs and their customer service is top notch!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY