Official member of the PSL club!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Blaiz
Pelagic

Official member of the PSL club!

Post by Blaiz »

Finally, I saw a lumpsucker at the same time that I had a camera with me. My buddy Phil called this morning and suggested we hit up Keystone. I told him in hushed tones of the fabled creature rumoured to live in these waters, but could not promise we'd find a one. Well, we did indeed find one, which I suspect was a good deal smaller than he had expected. The limitations of my point and shoot apply, but here is proof.
2011_09050022 (Medium).JPG
Two inches below that one was another, tucked up along the kelp stem, but he was a good deal more camera-shy. However, along another blade of kelp about eight inches away was a third!
2011_09050034 (Medium).JPG
Once out of the water, I did some dance and jump, then queried whether Phil had done Driftwood yet. Turns out he hadn't so I told him it was a grand dive, with the only catch being to avoid being the catch of the day. We squeezed between a couple of fishermen, and dropped down. I had not expected to see a lumpie down at driftwood, and yet...
2011_09050057 (Medium).JPG
He was even smaller than the ones at Keystone. :partyman:

Phil got to see an octopus out in the open, and he'd asked whether we'd see a wolf eel. I said probably, and sometimes they even come out so you can see the whole thing.
2011_09050058 (Medium).JPG
There were a couple of GPOs tucked into tires. One was tucked quite far in, but another one, Phil found its leg, then moved over a tire, peering to see where the leg led, only to find a massive big octopus staring right back at him.

With a few more buzz bombs for my collection, we headed back up to a lovely freezingass sunny day on Whidbey Island. I had a good time Phil, thanks for the invite!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Official member of the PSL club!

Post by Dusty2 »

Nice, Must have been a nice hatch there recently. It's rare to find one let lone 3 or 4! :joshsmith:
philmatt
Frequent Bubbler

Post by philmatt »

Thanks for the awesome day Kris. Glad you had a camera, the picture of me and the ling is cool! Also thank for being my dive buddy, your calm and patience helps me become a better dive.
Wet on Whidbey
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Good show Kriss, it took me eight years to find one. Now I see them at Keystone on every dive.
But still finding only the tiny ones, I don't know where their parents are hiding. You did great job with your camera.
They are sooo hard with the P&S ...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Good job chris !!!!
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
squid509
Avid Diver

Post by squid509 »

PSL club
what is that?
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Pacific spiny lumpsucker

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Congrats on seeing them WITH a camera!
But I need to make one correction. Unless there's another club I'm unaware of (which is real possible!), the club is technically the, "NEVER seen a PSL" - of which I was president (along with many other co-presidents) for quite some time before having to resign. :rawlings:

So a big congrats on getting booted out of THAT club! :partydance:

I am still President of the "Never Seen a Sixgill" Club. :tomnic:

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
diverden
Compulsive Diver