Hood Canal off the Down Time, 4/15/12

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

So, Friday night, I saw a message from Don saying there were three empty spots on the boat. My husband was otherwise engaged today, so I went looking for a buddy, and to my delight, my friend Kathryn Arant was up for a road trip. (I like Kathryn, and have not gotten to dive with her nearly as much as I would like, so that was a treat as much as the boat charter.)

We met at the Edmonds parking lot, and got onto a nearly empty ferry. It was quick 40 miles under gray skies to the Pleasant Harbor Marina, where we quickly unloaded so we could squeeze in a good latte before boarding the boat. Don and Mike, the DM, were their usual incredibly helpful selves, so it didn't take long to get everyone situated. It was me and Kathryn, and an instructor from Portland with his AOW class, so the boat was full, but there is SO much room for six divers on the Down Time.

Our first dive was Pulali Point West Wall. This was my first dive there, and it's a lovely site. Lots of very steep rocky terrain, and it looked spectacular when viewed from below, against the glowing pale green water. We saw a variety of critters, including one mated pair of wolf eels and several species of nudibranchs. Our max depth was around 65 feet, although the wall goes much deeper -- but Kathryn was shooting wide angle, and wanted to stay shallow enough to have light in the water, which was fine with me. We did a lovely 60+ minute dive -- Don arranged things perfectly, by putting the two of us in the water first each time, so the class would have time and room to get geared up and briefed, and nobody would be waiting TOO long for us.

We came out to sunshine -- the weatherguessers had been right, and the clouds had burned away. I still got cold during surface interval, because I kept my wet dry suit on, and failed to put on my hat, and I was a little worried about the second dive. Even a big cup of hot chicken soup failed to burn out the chill, but the second dive was to be the Pinnacle, and there was no way I was missing THAT. My friend Marcoux has filled my ears for years with stories of the huge school of vermilion rockfish to be found on this site, and as they are my favorite Puget Sound fish, I was going down to see them.

This is a really cool site. The rocks come up to quite shallow water -- the bottom of the buoy line was at 19 feet today. But the structure drops off to much deeper. We went quickly down to about 70 feet, which was where Don said we would find my beloved fish, and very soon, we encountered one or two. We kept swimming, and soon, there they were -- we counted 15 of the biggest vermilions I have ever seen. They were lazy and relaxed, right up to the point where I got close enough to photograph any of them :(

We circled around the end of the pinnacle and headed shallower, and encountered a literal FIELD of ling cod. Edmonds-sized ling cod. Virtually every rock on which one could perch, one had . . . I have no idea how there are any other sorts of fish at all there, given the number and size of the lings we saw.

But we also saw mixed schools of Puget Sound rockfish, striped perch, and black rockfish, who were beautiful silhouetted against the pale green light coming down. I busied myself shooting starfish, nudibranchs, and anything else that couldn't get away, and also amused myself for a while in a rather futile effort to shoot any of the hundreds of small jellies drifting by in the shallower water. Jelly-shooting requires three hands, because the camera can't focus on the jelly unless it's lit up, and if you are holding your light on the jelly and bring the camera into play, most likely the light slips off the jelly and the camera can't find it. So you drop the camera, get the light back on the jelly, and bring the camera up . . . rinse and repeat. It kept me busy, but it wasn't very productive of good photos!

One of the amazing things about this dive was that, as I had worried, I was cold getting in the water. About 20 minutes in, I began to shiver, which is not a good omen for a nice, long dive. But at that point, I reached back and switched on my Santi vest . . . and ten minutes later, the shivering had STOPPED and I was no longer cold. I knew the vest was good for delaying getting cold, but I had no idea I could actually REWARM myself while still in the water. Expensive as they are, those things are worth it.

Another solid 60 minutes of fun, and a really pleasant ascent up a line encrusted with mussels, through water so thick with little critters that I could have spent another ten minutes, just sitting on deco and watching the parade.

Back on the boat, we got out of wet stuff and climbed up and did the run back on the upper sun deck, which was, in fact, sunny and lovely.

I always think it's so FAR to get out there and dive off Don's boat, and it isn'tIt's 40 miles from the Kingston ferry terminal. We caught the 7:50 ferry and got to the marina before 9 (getting home was another story, but we all know how Sunday afternoons on the ferries can be). I think Don will see me more often, and I know Kathryn's up for a return engagement!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Hood Canal off the Down Time, 4/15/12

Post by Tom Nic »

Wonderful pictures and report Lynne!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Lynn, nice report, What is the cost for a day on the downtime? I have never been and I keep thinking I need to cross tha one off my bucket list.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Nice write up, Lynne. The pinnacle is one of my favorite HC dive sites. You can almost always count on it being very fish-y.

Dusty, I think a 2-tank charter is $80, sometimes more depending on fuel prices.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Yes, that was what we paid yesterday. Plus $32 in ferry fees.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

You're getting good with that camera, Lynne ... we need to go diving sometime. Weekday evening, preferably ... classes are going to consume my week-ends pretty much until after Memorial Day ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The vermillions are quite reliable at the pinnacle, at least half a dozen sometimes 12 to 20. Its too bad the buoy is gone, that's actually a pretty good site for Notty.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

CaptnJack wrote:The vermillions are quite reliable at the pinnacle, at least half a dozen sometimes 12 to 20. Its too bad the buoy is gone, that's actually a pretty good site for Notty.
I didn't know the buoy was gone on the pinnacle, I haven't been there in a while. Did they remove the buoys at both Pullali and the Pinnacle or just the Pullali East site?
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

blackwater wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:The vermillions are quite reliable at the pinnacle, at least half a dozen sometimes 12 to 20. Its too bad the buoy is gone, that's actually a pretty good site for Notty.
I didn't know the buoy was gone on the pinnacle, I haven't been there in a while. Did they remove the buoys at both Pullali and the Pinnacle or just the Pullali East site?
When I saw Richard's post I assumed that it might have broken free due to inclement weather, but now from your post it sounds like it was officially removed for some reason. These are/were WSA buoys....correct? Why would any of the buoys be removed?
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

blackwater wrote: I didn't know the buoy was gone on the pinnacle, I haven't been there in a while. Did they remove the buoys at both Pullali and the Pinnacle or just the Pullali East site?
I was under the impression that they only had to remove the buoys at Pullali because they were located within the Navy's torpedo range. I'm pretty sure the Pinnacle Buoy is outside the Navy Test Range, so should still be there. Maybe Lynne can clarify it for us since she was there yesterday. :angelblue:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

John Rawlings wrote:Why would any of the buoys be removed?
The ones in the Dabob bay test range were removed because DNR didn't get permission from the Navy to place anything there. Its DNR's fault as for whatever reason they failed to route the draft placement permit properly to see if the Navy had any concerns. Or maybe the Navy failed to internally route the buoy placement application and only once it was deployed did they reply. Its a bit unclear, but its not WSA's fault even if it was their money which was wasted placing it.

Last time I was at the Pinnacle there was no buoy there either. That was last year though. I thought it might have involved in the Dabob mess although maybe it was just coincidentally removed that day for painting or cleaning or something?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

There was a mooring buoy on the Pinnacle yesterday, and one on Pulali West Wall. I have to confess that I didn't look at them closely enough to see if they said WSA on them.
don
Aquaphile

Post by don »

It was Great to see you Lynne, and thanks very much for bringing a "new face" that has not been on the boat before! Great report. For the Buoys, there are WSA buoys on Pinnacle and Pulali West Wall and Flagpole in Hood Canal. Hopefully we will soon get buoys on a couple more sites. The Pulali East and South buoys were placed, then removed, because the Navy did not, apparently, have an opportunity to comment prior to permits being issued. Both those buoys were inside the Dabob range boundry. We still dive those sites though.
...we have an open seat on Saturday and two on Sunday ... if anyone is interested.
don
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Very nice! Can't wait until my drysuit is back from Bare!!!!!!!!!!!
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280