PNW Critter Book List

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
KneeDeep
Submariner

PNW Critter Book List

Post by KneeDeep »

Subject speaks for itself. What are some of your favorite PWN critter books? Looking for some that would help ID them. Speak up… what’s in your library?
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: PNW Critter Book List

Post by Dusty2 »

Northwest marine life by Andy Lamb, also Coastal Fishes of the Pacific Northwest, Revised and Expanded Second Edition by Andy and phil edgell

Coastal Fish Identification California to Alaska 2nd Ed. by Paul Humann, Ned DeLoach, Ken Marks and Michael O Connell (Oct 1, 2008)

Nudibranchs of the eastern pacific, Dave beherns

Pacific Coast Crabs and Shrimps by Gregory C. Jensen (Feb 1, 1995

Also check out the Reef fish id classes given by our own Janna Nichols, info at [url]http://www.pnwscuba.com

/janna.htm[/url] Caution, Jannas classes are very addictive.

Some of these book are out of print so you may need to find them used but they are well worth it.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I also have Lamb's book, and Behrens' nudibranch book.

Another book I love, although it's not organized for rapid species identification, is Milton Love's Probably More than you Wanted to Know about the Fishes of the Pacific Coast. It's an utterly delightful book, tremendously fun to read and full of all kinds of nuggets of information you won't pick up anywhere else.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tidepool Geek
Aquaphile

Post by Tidepool Geek »

Greetings,

To the books already listed, I would add:

Whelks to Whales by Rick Harbo - Though less comprehensive than Andy Lamb's book it's also cheaper and easier to take along in the car or boat.

Certainly More Than You Wanted to Know About the Fishes of the Pacific Coast by Milton Love - This is one that you probably wouldn't take in the car unless you're equipped with overload springs; this thing is HUGE! It's the sequel to Probably More etc. listed above and has several times the information (and side notes) of the original.

The Rockfishes of the Northeast Pacific by Milton Love - Obviously this is more specialized than anything listed so far in this thread but if you're into rockfish this is a must have.

It's also worth noting that, on a dollars per pound basis, Milton Love's books are an unbelievable value!

Bibliographically yours,
Alex
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Dusty2 wrote:Northwest marine life by Andy Lamb, also Coastal Fishes of the Pacific Northwest, Revised and Expanded Second Edition by Andy and phil edgell

Coastal Fish Identification California to Alaska 2nd Ed. by Paul Humann, Ned DeLoach, Ken Marks and Michael O Connell (Oct 1, 2008)

Nudibranchs of the eastern pacific, Dave beherns

Pacific Coast Crabs and Shrimps by Gregory C. Jensen (Feb 1, 1995

Also check out the Reef fish id classes given by our own Janna Nichols, info at [url]http://www.pnwscuba.com

/janna.htm[/url] Caution, Jannas classes are very addictive.

Some of these book are out of print so you may need to find them used but they are well worth it.
Actually all of those listed here are still in print. Although Sea Challengers is no longer printing books, there are still a lot of new copies in stock.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Thanks every one for your post. I've 'wish list' all of them at amazon. I also 'wish list' A Checklist of Parasites of California, Oregon, and Washington Marine and Estuarine Fishes, has any one read that one?
LCF wrote: Another book I love, although it's not organized for rapid species identification....

Though a 'quick' reference can be nice, I am more looking for detailed info and not a 'pocket' guide.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Here's an old thread with a similar subject. LOTS of books listed by the members here:

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... tion+books
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Make sure that you look for the SECOND EDITION of these books:
Whelks to Whales - Harbo
Coastal Fish ID - Humann
Coastal Fishes - Lamb

The 2nd edition of these books are far superior than their first edition counterparts. :rawlings:

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Dusty2 wrote: Pacific Coast Crabs and Shrimps by Gregory C. Jensen (Feb 1, 1995
One of my favorite features of this book is the excellent flow chart for species identification.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

renoun wrote:
Dusty2 wrote: Pacific Coast Crabs and Shrimps by Gregory C. Jensen (Feb 1, 1995
One of my favorite features of this book is the excellent flow chart for species identification.
+1! Outstanding book.

And +10 for Janna's classes. Take, learn, repeat.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com