Biomechanics of Finning

General banter about diving and why we love it.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Biomechanics of Finning

Post by ArcticDiver »

There are several people here who may be able to help me better understand the biomechanics of finning. In specific, what part of the lower leg, ankle and foot are used for finning and to what extent?

To what extent do the various parts contribute to the overall finning effort? What parts, while useful, are not necessary for finning? I'm thinking of the roles played by the calves, ankles, main body of the feet, balls of the feet and toes.

It seems to me not only will a better understanding help me, it will also help most every diver.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Re: Biomechanics of Finning

Post by kdupreez »

There are a number of finning techniques. Are you interested in a specific one?

Power Kicks = Scissor, Frog and Flutter
Precision Kicks = Modified Frog and Flutter
Maneuvering Kicks = Helicopter Turns, Back Kicks

They are all very different, use different muscle groups and have very different purposes.

Wit the exception of scissor kicks, we teach all of these as "core foundational kicks" and each of them serve great purpose in diving and mastering all of them will benefit your greatly.

Most of them are best demonstrated in shallow water (pool or surface)

There are a few good youtube videos that could help if you like?
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Nope, for this purpose not interested in the techniques except as they might differ as to their biomechanics. The goal here is to better understand which parts of the body, feet and lower legs primarily, are used in finning and to what extent.

As an example: How much are the toes used? The balls of the feet? Would exercise that specifically addresses the strength of these body parts improve efficiency and duration of finning? Are these toes and the balls of the feet essential for finning? Or, would their absence not be missed?

These same type questions pertain to other parts of the body that are used in finning, quads, hamstrings, etc.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

My interest is to be able to do in scuba essentially what body builders do; target specific muscles for development. Obviously that has some current personal benefit. But, it also has application to most any diver.
blt2go
Avid Diver

Post by blt2go »

For some more information about fins plus a good source of information on fins themselves, you can check out this thread on the Vintage Scuba Diving board: http://vintagescuba.proboards.com/index ... 952&page=1

One of the Mods and main posters to this thread, SeaRat is from the Portland area and has some interesting stories to tell about diving and fins...
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Interesting! Guess people have been experimenting with fins practically forever.

Wonder why the fin manufacturers haven't done a real study of foot and leg biomechanics. Seems to me that knowledge would help in fin design as well as diver training.
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Post by Emilyrc »

One thing that I have noticed using a few different kinds of fins, is I use my toes a LOT. With every kind of fin that ive used.

I can't really go into detail because I can't tell you specifically what muscles are used for what kind of technique. I do know that the frog kick is a killer on my back. When I'm in the midst of a fibromyalgia flare, frog kick is out of the question. It uses the most parts of my body that the fibro "attacks", knees, hips, back, calves, and the muscles and nerves around the femur. I can flutter kick because of the different way those muscles are used.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Exactly why I raised the subject. It is all well and good to have a particular kick demonstrated and to maybe do it a few times. But, lack of performance, I believe, is often due to lack of muscle strength and not understanding.

In other sports a person can be assigned specific exercises to develop the necessary specific muscle strength and ability. After proper analysis I can't see why the same couldn't be done in scuba. But, so far, people don't seem to have done the needed thoughtful analysis.

Toes: Yes it appears toes are essential to just about all the kicks.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Emilyrc wrote:One thing that I have noticed using a few different kinds of fins, is I use my toes a LOT. With every kind of fin that ive used.

I can't really go into detail because I can't tell you specifically what muscles are used for what kind of technique. I do know that the frog kick is a killer on my back. When I'm in the midst of a fibromyalgia flare, frog kick is out of the question. It uses the most parts of my body that the fibro "attacks", knees, hips, back, calves, and the muscles and nerves around the femur. I can flutter kick because of the different way those muscles are used.
This sounds like excellent justification for a Scooter!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Daniel379ba
Avid Diver

Post by Daniel379ba »

kdupreez wrote:There are a number of finning techniques. Are you interested in a specific one?

Power Kicks = Scissor, Frog and Flutter
Precision Kicks = Modified Frog and Flutter
Maneuvering Kicks = Helicopter Turns, Back Kicks

They are all very different, use different muscle groups and have very different purposes.

Wit the exception of scissor kicks, we teach all of these as "core foundational kicks" and each of them serve great purpose in diving and mastering all of them will benefit your greatly.

Most of them are best demonstrated in shallow water (pool or surface)

There are a few good youtube videos that could help if you like?
If you could post a link to some good approved methods I'D sure appreciate it!
Thanks!
I was born in the water and love being in it.
Its a natural feeling.
(If anyone wants to dive with me voice up, I'm good Tuesday-Thur 3:00+
Monday and Fridays 3-7, Saturdays = Full day or not at all, Sun = 12:00+ )