laser-cut bathymetric maps

General banter about diving and why we love it.
renoun
I've Got Gills

laser-cut bathymetric maps

Post by renoun »

I just saw a blog post about the laser-cut bathymetric maps made out of birch plywood that Below the Boat is selling. I'm probably not the only one here that could see one of these adorning a wall. They have separate more detailed Puget Sound and San Juan maps plus a variety of other East coast areas, inland lakes, and West coast locations.

"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: laser-cut bathymetric maps

Post by spatman »

Wow! reasonably priced, too, considering the work.
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

So cool :)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Just saw some of these a while back in a map shop downtown- they are very cool!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Really beautiful, and as "works of art" go, reasonably priced.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Wow -- something else to put on the wish list. Those are beautiful, and relevant and fun as well. More expensive than a casual whim, but not expensive as artwork goes.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
DiveZen
Frequent Bubbler

Post by DiveZen »

Wow, these are gorgeous!
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

thanks for the share! those are very very cool!!
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
blt2go
Avid Diver

Post by blt2go »

Years ago when I was going through the oceanography tech program at Shoreline Community College we did a study of the south sound area and we made a 4 foot by 8 foot 3D scale model of that part of the sound (a full sheet of plywood was the base underneath it all)doing something similar but then we used marine-tex to waterproof it all. We then filled it with water and simulated the tidal flow through the different parts of the south sound by putting food coloring into the water. It wound up being a pretty cool project that incorporated the math to make the scale version, hands on tool use, map and chart reading and finally gave us a good idea of what our study areas geography was like, where the eddies were, the tideflats etc.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

blt2go wrote:Years ago when I was going through the oceanography tech program at Shoreline Community College we did a study of the south sound area and we made a 4 foot by 8 foot 3D scale model of that part of the sound (a full sheet of plywood was the base underneath it all)doing something similar but then we used marine-tex to waterproof it all. We then filled it with water and simulated the tidal flow through the different parts of the south sound by putting food coloring into the water. It wound up being a pretty cool project that incorporated the math to make the scale version, hands on tool use, map and chart reading and finally gave us a good idea of what our study areas geography was like, where the eddies were, the tideflats etc.
That sounds really cool. I guess you dont have any pics or video to share?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

blt2go wrote:Years ago when I was going through the oceanography tech program at Shoreline Community College we did a study of the south sound area and we made a 4 foot by 8 foot 3D scale model of that part of the sound (a full sheet of plywood was the base underneath it all)doing something similar but then we used marine-tex to waterproof it all. We then filled it with water and simulated the tidal flow through the different parts of the south sound by putting food coloring into the water. It wound up being a pretty cool project that incorporated the math to make the scale version, hands on tool use, map and chart reading and finally gave us a good idea of what our study areas geography was like, where the eddies were, the tideflats etc.

They still have something very similar to what you described at the Pacific Science Center. Really cool to watch the water movements during the tide cycle.
http://exhibits.pacsci.org/Puget_Sound/PSModel.html
Attachments
PSModel3.jpg
PSModel3.jpg (19.6 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

What cool maps. I put myself on the back order list for the Salish Sea map. Thanks OP!