Titanium Regulators problems?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Clay
Avid Diver

Titanium Regulators problems?

Post by Clay »

There is a MK25/S600 titanium on CL that i have seen for almost a year now, I keep looking at it because I like shiny S**t and I want a MK 25 s600. I have heard here and there that titanium is bad for regulators because it reacts with O2.... one website went so far as to say it could potentially burst into flames if used with nitrox etc etc. I can't bring myself to believe this to be true... I get that 100% O2 could oxidize it and cause problems but 40% nitrox? the hefty sticker price isn't usually worth the weight difference but if I could get a CL one on the cheap....... what do you guys think? Anyone have any experience with these? seen one spontaneously combust? dive with a fire extinguisher?
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Re: Titanium Regulators problems?

Post by fishb0y »

I recall at least one instance of combustion with a titanium regulator... But I couldn't give you any specifics. If I remember correctly they have a limit of 80%. Unless you are going to use it for your shallow deco bottle, I wouldn't worry about it.
Personally, I think titanium is overrated in dive gear... I'm not sure if the savings on weight and corrosion are worth the extra 15-20% cost.
But hey... If you think you're getting a good deal on a reg, don't let me hold you back.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Jesus....... That guy is still trying to sell that thing? No regulator is worth 1000 bucks... Now, I have never used a titanium MK25/S600, but I do have a VERY hard time believing it would be worth it. I do have 3 normal MK25/S600 regs, and I love them all. I have some nitpicky complaints, but nothing huge. Imo, you are better off just buying a brand new non-titanium MK25/S600, if that is the reg you are looking to own. You would save $400.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I wouldn't waste the money on titatium, but if you already have it I would NOT use it with EANx. They have self combusted, one took out the charter boat in the process (since the go boom when you turn the valve on)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

One of my regular dive buddys has a titanium reg and it is more prone to freeze up durring our winter dives around here. He has to keep it warm until the last minute and then get in fast. After the first couple times he checked with the manufacturer and they confirmed that brass or stainless would be a better cold water choice.
Just to qualify the conditions I am talking about are on dives with 10'F to 15'F ambient air temp while gearing up and 38'F to 40'F freshwater.
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Mortuus wrote:Jesus....... That guy is still trying to sell that thing? No regulator is worth 1000 bucks...
The Craigslist guy is asking $1000?!? That's just crazy.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Our Tech 1 instructor had a set of them for his doubles... Seemed like he liked them... Used em with Miflex (or equivalent) hoses. Great for travel (or so I hear) they were indeed very light. Very pretty too, love the color of the metal... Seemed like they were fine with trimix and occasional 32% (aka back gas) in Lake Washington and Puget Sound in the spring.

I on the other hand am a cheap bastard and IF I had a few extra $$ laying around would spend it on camera crap. ;)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:
Mortuus wrote:Jesus....... That guy is still trying to sell that thing? No regulator is worth 1000 bucks...
Gold turds aren't cheap!
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Clay
Avid Diver

Post by Clay »

Lol yeah that guy wanted 1k..... I would never pay that but could offer 400 or so. My curiosity was with the supposed problems with them. I Wanted to ask before I talked to the seller and for the sake of general diving knowledge.
I had the same opinion that its pretty and I like the looks and feel of the metal. Like i said, I'm a fan of shiny sh#t.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

spatman wrote:
Lowered from $1100.... :nutty:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Clay wrote:Lol yeah that guy wanted 1k..... I would never pay that but could offer 400 or so. My curiosity was with the supposed problems with them. I Wanted to ask before I talked to the seller and for the sake of general diving knowledge.
I had the same opinion that its pretty and I like the looks and feel of the metal. Like i said, I'm a fan of shiny sh#t.
You can offer $300 too but why bother lol.
DFessler
Avid Diver

Post by DFessler »

With the 2012 models now going for $499, I can't see the benefit of the additional $500. As for issues...I don't personally know anyone who has had a problem with them with Nitrox.
David Fessler
PADI Master Instructor

"Live Life One Foot At A Time"
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I just started diving a T2X (Atomic) and love it.

Since I am always at the absolute weight limit the lighter weight allows me to pack approximately 5 more pairs of gonch, which when turned inside out and reused means up to 10 more days without doing laundry (well, assuming that I wear underwear every day).

I haven't blown myself or anything up yet but typically dive NX28-36 in warm water (where the reg is used).