Woman diver fatality at Redondo

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Woman diver fatality at Redondo

Post by Jeremy »

Saturday night, news reports say due to "out of air".

:(
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Woman diver fatality at Redondo

Post by Tom Nic »

Hate it. Hate these things.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

Speechless!
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

This is sad to hear...
Unfortunately these things do occur. This is why it is important to check your air/how much air you have or are consuming, know your consumption, practice OOA, dive plan, buddy check, communicaate with your buddy and NEVER dive beyond your experiance level or comfort level...
My thoughts go out to the parties involved...family, dive buddy,...
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Another sad day for puget sound divers. I know each of us feels the loss even though we don't yet know who it is.

My prayers got out to the families and a special prayer for the dive buddy who will suffer tremendously for a long time to come.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

As with all such things we will probably never know anymore than we do now. Unless someone on the board was there we now know all we will know because the media only prints the actual moment and never follows up.

It could well have been a medical emergency of some sort but getting caught in unexpected current can be very life threatening especially near the end of a dive. We can only pray that it doesn't happen again and try to prevent it from ever happening to any of us.

Dive safe guys, second chances are a rare thing.
dwinslow1
Avid Diver

Post by dwinslow1 »

Very sad when this happens,only hope we can learn something that can help prevent it from happening again.
Don W.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Would depend on how deep you went and how long. I have been lucky so far and never experienced it. I did once at edmonds and I don't want to do that again.

Wish the news had given a name. Does anyone know?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Her name was Leanne Miller. There's memorials, flowers and messages, left on the rock structure next to the stairs.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Rest in peace, Leanne. My heart goes out to her friends, family, her buddy, and the responders.

I would also like to post a gentle reminder that this board is not the place for speculation. I know that we are all touched by a fellow diver's death, and are intensely curious about what happened. We are human beings! However, please stick to known facts about the case, or condolences to the bereaved.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Anyone know if she had a buddy?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Mortuus wrote:Anyone know if she had a buddy?
All the news reports indicate that she did.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Wait....derp. Nevermind. For some reason I didn't recall the mention of it.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

This is truly a sad event and my prayers/condolences to friends and family involved.
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

It's always sad to hear about these things happening.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and her dive buddy.

Anyone ever discuss putting up a sign of some sort warning "new" or less experienced divers with this site that it can be current sensitive.

I'm not sure about liability issues about putting up a sign but thru out this thread many have said that there is a known issue with a down current that can affect your dive.

We don't know if a sign warning of potential dangers would have prevented this situation but maybe we as a community can do something to possibly prevent this from occuring again.

Just my $0.02,

Mike
Clay
Avid Diver

Post by Clay »

If the friends or family of leanne read this I hope they understand that these "Discussions" of the incident help us grow as divers and learn from the situations other divers have faced. In the fire service we study all near misses and fatalities in an effort to prevent more deaths and learn from our brothers mistakes. I have only found one good publication in the recreational diving community that studies near misses, Diver Down was probably the best book i've ever read relating to scuba diving. I wish it was a required read for rescue classes.
In the spirit of discussion and learning, Bob, in my opinion you are very very correct in your statements! Scuba diving is Alot different than swimming, IMO get LOW and head in is the best plan in most currents when scuba diving. I have found that most of my buddies in currents stay too high and work way harder. If getting low and heading in doesn't work you can try perpendicular but in my experience here in the puget sound if you can't make progress getting low you can't move at an angle either. I haven't seen this at redondo but Day Island wall on a bad day comes to mind. By all means try it before you surface, once on the surface start kicking towards shore whatever shore you can get too. A long walk is better than the alternative.
If i was diving redondo and current picked up that much I wouldn't think it was a river that I could swim perpendicular too and get out of. it's just the current..... My heart hurts for the lost diver and her family..... I never met her but she's been on my mind since saturday.... a large group of divers from my shop were there saturday doing a shop dive just a few hours before this incident. It could have easily been one of ours.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

My condolences to the family, friends, and dive buddy of Leanne. May she rest in peace.
Jenn
GRH
Frequent Bubbler

Post by GRH »

My sincerest condolences are with Leanne, Her Family, Friends, and Dive Partner. Very sad news.
Attachments
Leanne_Miller_4555_72pi.jpg
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

This is definitely a sad thing to hear about. My condolences also go out to the family.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

I've heard a conflicting story about this accident which was that it had nothing to do with current at all and was not an OOA situation and she simply went unconscious at 20 feet at the end of the dive. Sounded like it might have been a medical issue.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

It could certainly have been natural causes. I seems a good percentage of diver deaths are.

I wish someone could update us so we could know.

My condolences go out to everyone hurting from this incidence and may they find peace as she surly has.