into the dark of the Canal

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
deep diver
Pelagic

into the dark of the Canal

Post by deep diver »

Met up with Bric today after his nice warm, clear diving in the Caribbean for shock therapy into the dark, cold and very rough hood canal. The water viz is pretty much nothing until you get passed 75'. Once past that it is fairly clear just dark. Since we lost one main light and one back up light ... malfunction wise..... we only did the one dive.
We did a fairly deep dive and found a stubby squid guarding her nest. Had to tickle her out of the muck to take her picture.
Also found this saber tooth sculpin :dontknow: It is amazing the different kinds of sculpin that we find when we are diving deeper and it's dark.
Still not too many Nudis back, just diamond backs and they seem to be everywhere.
Attachments
DSC_0046.JPG
DSC_0042.JPG
DSC_0038.JPG
It's a good day.... nobody died!
Kola16
Getting To Know Folks

Re: into the dark of the Canal

Post by Kola16 »

Cool! Never seen one of those squid things before :thumb3d:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'm going to make a guess that that's a padded sculpin who has eaten another small fish . . . but sculpins baffle me, and I'll be interested at what the real experts have to say!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Looks like a crab leg hanging ou this gob.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

Roughback sculpin ate a crab.