Advice on used DUI suit

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
ggthatcher
Frequent Bubbler

Advice on used DUI suit

Post by ggthatcher »

I'm going to try on a used (but never used) DUI (TLS-350) later today. It is an XL. When the guy and I have exchanged body size comparisons, we are very close. He wears a size 36 inseam, where I'm a 32, but chest size, height, weight, are all very similar.

Do you all have some advice for me on what to look for. His claim is that due to injury from sickness (lungs) that he bought it and was never able to use it.

Sorry about the very late notice. If I get your advice too late, I'm going to try and put in a buyers-remorse option to back out of the deal.

Thanks in advance
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Advice on used DUI suit

Post by Penopolypants »

Fit is everything - take your undergarment with you when you try it on. Look for cracking/holes in the seals, and signs of wear on the zipper. Turn it inside out and look for signs of delamination. If you have the opportunity, close off the neck and wrists, fill it with air and examine for leaks.

Good luck! DUI makes a nice suit.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
ggthatcher
Frequent Bubbler

Post by ggthatcher »

I don't have the undergarment yet. My dive shop suggested that I could get that after the fact, but you raise a good point. What clothing could I take with me that would be similar to most of what I would need?
If I had a heavy sweat-shirt and sweat-pants, is that similar at all. 2 sweatshirts maybe?

Good advice on turning it inside out. I will add that to my research.

Thanks
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

more like a couple layers of fleece on top and bottom or a medium weight winter coat liner. Drysuit underwear in a shell suit is the insulating layer. looks a lot like a snowsuit without a fancy shell to protect from elements and is often 300g fleece of some sort or filled with some kind of fiber / thinsulate. Really best to try it on with similar weight undergarment that you are diving, will keep you from getting an 'I gotta go on a diet' suit. If you try it on in sweats, make sure its 'pretty baggy' (it will seem too big).
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
ggthatcher
Frequent Bubbler

Post by ggthatcher »

I just got back.
Wow... What a perfect suit. Perfect, brand new, never used condition. The guy was not kidding when he said it was new. It was.
I just wish I could have gotten it up an over my shoulders. So bummed.
I almost bought it just so I could re-sell it. Fantastic deal. If anyone is interested in one, please let me know. If you have advice for me about buying it for re-sale, please let me know if that would be wise.