Rocio del Mar Sea of Cortez Liveaboard

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Rocio del Mar Sea of Cortez Liveaboard

Post by Magoi »

We had a truly outstanding trip on the Rocio del Mar live-aboard, traveling from Puerto Penasco at the north to Cabo san Lucas on the southern tip of the Baja Peninsula. This was the best vacation I have ever had. The trip ran from October 25 to November 5, covering almost 700 miles and 26 dives. The boat and crew were fantastic and very professional. We dove nitrox the whole trip, and each dive was around 60 min. We never changed tanks the whole trip - they filled the tanks between dives with your BCD on the tank, and we always had a full tank. My only complaint is that we had too much good food to eat. We also missed a few dives at Cabo Pulmo due to a hurricane to the south that had some serious waves when we passed by.

The diving was great. We snorkeled with whale sharks in a whale shark preserve, snorkeled with short-fin pilot whales, dove with some hammerheads, and had some incredible interactions with California sea lions. It was interesting to see the changes in the water and the life over the course of the trip. The water in the north end was green, colder (5-mil suits) with poorer viz (around 30-50 ft) while in the south the water was blue, above 80F and viz was on the order of 100 ft. Large seahorses, argus morays, and more nudibranchs in the north, zebra morays, parrot fish, and Moorish idols in the south. The sea lions were especially fun, mimicking divers, grabbing fins, and playing with our hair (at least those who have hair). One kept going into a cave, grabbing a shell, bringing it out and dropping it in front of us, then returning to the cave to do it again. On a couple dives we had at least a dozen sea lions constantly swarming in front of us for about 20 minutes (we left, they didn't). We are now looking to book the boat again for a trip to the Socorros. Now I have to wait until February for our trip to the Philippines and Palau. It will be hard to live up to the Sea of Cortez trip - it was just very satisfying.

A few pics from the trip
Mexican Dancer.jpg
The Mexican Dancer is apparently a sea slug, and not a nudibranch.
Argus Moray.
Argus Moray.
Saw a bunch of these guys - a bit shy, Blue and Yellow Chromis
Saw a bunch of these guys - a bit shy, Blue and Yellow Chromis
Spanish Shawl.
Spanish Shawl.
Short Fin Pilot Whale, taken from the panga.  Could not catch these guys swimming with my camera.
Short Fin Pilot Whale, taken from the panga. Could not catch these guys swimming with my camera.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Rocio del Mar Sea of Cortez Liveaboard

Post by LCF »

We did the Socorro Islands with the RDM this March. I can't say enough good things about the boat, the crew, and the food. And the diving was utterly fabulous. I would really love to do one of their long, boat-relocating trips (which it sounds like you did).
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

LCF wrote:We did the Socorro Islands with the RDM this March. I can't say enough good things about the boat, the crew, and the food. And the diving was utterly fabulous. I would really love to do one of their long, boat-relocating trips (which it sounds like you did).
Yeah, we did the long relocating trip - we booked it two and a half years ago. Well worth the wait. We are starting to plan a Socorro Islands trip with them too. Did we meet you in the lot at Redondo about a month ago, talking about Olympus cameras?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

We were supposed to be on it for 2016 but due to a communications screw up, it looks as though we lost our spots :(

You may very well have met me at Redondo -- seems like I've done most of the little diving I've done recently at that spot!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

OK, now I can place you. We did have a discussion with you and your husband (I was diving with my wife and daughter) at Redondo. My wife remembered that you asked us to send your regards to the crew - they sent theirs back.

Too bad you got bumped from the trip - I recommend you get back on - it was a great trip. The sea lions were so close to us I have one photo that shows almost nothing but a sea lion chest. We saw another one playing with a porcupine fish - at one point the fish tried to shelter near a diver and the sea lion pulled the fish away to play some more.