Monolith or MonoMYTH?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Monolith or MonoMYTH?

Post by Pez7378 »

Joe and I have attempted to locate the Monolith three times. Joe says it's four. We've successfully failed to find it on three of the four attempts. On the fourth attempt we didn't find it either. I think the "Monolith" doesn't exist! I have seen one of ljjames' video, depicting something that resembles what people are calling the Monolith, but frankly, I think it's a hoax. (no offense Laura, I loved the video) :supz:

Here's the problem, we looked for any information we could find about the so called Monolith. People I know, claim to have seen it, but the information is vague, follow this heading, look for that line, go south from the cinderblock, turn left at the dungie buried in the mud.................The bottom line is this,

The legend of the Monolith was created by divers who thought that Cove 2 was just too crowded. So by creating this idea, that a tower of metal exists over in Cove 1 is sure to attract the masses. Everyone is looking for it. It's there I tell you, in about 90 fsw. Leave us be and let us dive the honeybear......alone.

Surely anyone who "claims" to have seen it was Narced. I've been there, and it doesn't exist. I've spent 4 hours of my life swimming all over the Cove 1 moonscape, following a mythical heading, confused by an intricate tangle of cave line, looking for something that isn't there, meanwhile everyone else is over in Cove 2 looking at stuff.................

Please don't offer to show me where it is [-X , this so called Monolith has become my White Whale. I will kill it. :axe: That is of course, assuming that it's not a hoax afterall.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Monolith or MonoMYTH?

Post by CaptnJack »

ROFL I'd offer to show it to you but I don't want to harpoon your white whale!
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

You're asking the wrong question, dude ... only the DIR folks know it as the monolith. The rest of the dive community knows it as Mary's Wreck.

If it's any consolation, last time I went looking for it I didn't find it either ... and I've been on it several times.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Isn't it "Mari"? After Mari Jachetta (sp?)?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

It's Really there, Pez. I've been there successfully twice and failed once, so I'm 2 for 3! Let me know when you're ready to go harpoon it again!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:Isn't it "Mari"? After Mari Jachetta (sp?)?

Bingo. You spelled it correctly, too. She was my OW/ AOW instructor.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

The first time I saw it I was helping out a friend with a rescue class in Cove 1. After the class my buddy and I went for an aimless dive and he inadvertently found the Monolith by running into it with his head!

Last year I read that there was a very large GPO currently under there so I decided to check it out again but had no idea of how to find it other than to have my buddy attempt to locate it with his head.

I got some directions from this board and did find it on the first attempt. I just went straight out from Cove 1 until I ran into the cave line at the 100 fsw contour (there is/was another line at 85 fsw). I took a right and soon came to the Monolith with a very large GPO still under it.

The key is to head slightly to the left so that when you get to the 100 fsw line that you know for sure that the Monolith is to your right. Just swim until you run into it.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

I would love to go with y'all when you do attempt it next....my one and only attempt was blown before I even got in the water. :(
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Penopolypants wrote:I would love to go with y'all when you do attempt it next....my one and only attempt was blown before I even got in the water. :(
Its fun to scooter down there and then buzz over to the I-beams at about the same depth. Then contour up to the jackstraw pilings and finally the Honey Bear before cruising home to Cove 1 with an extended 20ft stop :supz:

Hint hint!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

CaptnJack wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:I would love to go with y'all when you do attempt it next....my one and only attempt was blown before I even got in the water. :(
Its fun to scooter down there and then buzz over to the I-beams at about the same depth. Then contour up to the jackstraw pilings and finally the Honey Bear before cruising home to Cove 1 with an extended 20ft stop :supz:

Hint hint!
Haha! It's times like this that I wish the Scooter Fairy would put a scooter under my pillow! Maybe if I left a bunch of shark teeth?
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Penopolypants wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

Hint hint!
Haha! It's times like this that I wish the Scooter Fairy would put a scooter under my pillow! Maybe if I left a bunch of shark teeth?
Are you calling CaptnJack a "scooter fairy?" :evil4:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Penopolypants wrote: Haha! It's times like this that I wish the Scooter Fairy would put a scooter under my pillow! Maybe if I left a bunch of shark teeth?
The scooter fairy could bring a loaner tomorrow after work... :hello2:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sounder wrote:Are you calling CaptnJack a "scooter fairy?" :evil4:
Despite only having fur-kids, I am secure in my awesome manliness to be a scooter fairy and use pink stage leashes :naka:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Maybe you need one of these duckies instead...
Fairy duck.jpg
Fairy duck.jpg (166.59 KiB) Viewed 3530 times
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sounder wrote:Maybe you need one of these duckies instead...
Fairy duck.jpg
Uh huh right. Who needed the world's biggest compensatory light again?? :smt065
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

CaptnJack wrote:
Fairy duck.jpg
:evil4: It seems this whole thread just evolved into a whole bunch of stuff that doesn't exist!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Pez7378 wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Fairy duck.jpg
:evil4: It seems this whole thread just evolved into a whole bunch of stuff that doesn't exist!
What about the Tooth Fairy? :dontknow:

I'm with you Pez - I've tried to locate the MonoMYTH and have yet to find it too. I usually just end up bored and narc'ed.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Pez7378 wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Fairy duck.jpg
Lol my point exactly!
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

it is a pain in the :bootyshake: to find things. When nailer99 and i were coming back up form 180 feet :crybaby: swim form hell. we passed 3 huge old anchors at about 130 feet looked like a old moring bouy anchor system. we did not have time to stop and look at them. i have been back down with the scooter several times and have not found them again. it is a very large area with little vis most of the time.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Anyone have a picture of what is should look like?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

sheahanmcculla wrote:Anyone have a picture of what is should look like?
One picture??
If you are looking at a huge curved piece of steel maybe 15ft tall and 20ft wide next to a sculpture of a dog whose body is made out of a scuba tank - you are there.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

been there at least a dozen times. first time swam to it from cove 2, recreational dive, 32%, single tanks -- we hit the monolith then went shallow and swam back and due to a miscalculation wound up in cove 3 (on a 10 fsw contour...)

also did my first dive on 30/30 to the monolith.

learned how to scooter in stops and starts going from the i-beams to the monolith.

did several dives to do line repair off the old line coming off the top of the i-beams going out to the monolith (i believe the south line now starts at 120 fsw below the i-beams and no longer goes directly to the monolith).
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

*sigh*

will guys never learn???!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDvdqaqB_rY
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Thanks for the video. I like to see pictures of deep stuff since I can't seem to get past 70' ](*,)
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Sheahan, you need a bigger tank... :smt064