Visiting from Utah!

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
rollerboi
Getting To Know Folks

Visiting from Utah!

Post by rollerboi »

Heya! My wife and I will be in the area from June 25-July 1st, and Lynne suggested that I check in with everyone here! :)

My name's Josh, and I grew up in Renton. My wife (Lisa) grew up in Portland. We're both deaf, which really doesn't matter much underwater (or even helps, if you know ASL...) and we read lips ok. :) We live in Utah right now while I finish up school (cue chorus of boos).. we look forward to being able to move back, probably to the Portland area (cue wild cheering), after I finish school.. (cue another round of cheering).. in two years. (cue murmurs of disappointment). ;)

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself for the moment. We're still working out what we're going to be doing and how we're going to afford it. But I definitely would like to get some diving in while we're out there. We certified last year in hot spring-fed reservoirs in Utah, and then have been diving in Mexico a little and recently got some experience trying to dive in 3-ft visibility water. That was an eye-opener for us.

Looking forward to meeting a number of you guys. We'll be staying in Snohomish for the week, and Olympia for the weekend.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Visiting from Utah!

Post by Nwbrewer »

Welcome.

Why move to Portland when all the good diving is up here in the sound? :dontknow:

Post in the Dive plans section when you get closer and I'm sure you'll be able to locate some "tour guides" in the area.

Jake
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Nwbrewer wrote:Why move to Portland when all the good diving is up here in the sound? :dontknow:
uhh... maybe because Portland KICKS ASS!! :supz:

driving a couple hours to go diving is worth it to live here.
rollerboi
Getting To Know Folks

Post by rollerboi »

:supz: both areas kick butt. :)

my wife's family is all in the portland area, and she'll need that local support if we have any little tadpoles on the way. :sign10:
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Hi Josh,
Welcome to the club and im glad you decided to join us. I think you will find this club to be a a great source of info and friends!

Ken
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

You know, given my choice of dive buddies, I kinda wish I was Deaf too! I like them much better underwater where I can't hear them.

Welcome to the Club Josh. Forgive Spatmans enthusiasm for Portland, he likes Hippies and Weed. :rr: :evil4:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Pez7378 wrote:You know, given my choice of dive buddies, I kinda wish I was Deaf too! I like them much better underwater where I can't hear them.

Welcome to the Club Josh. Forgive Spatmans enthusiasm for Portland, he likes Hippies and Weed. :rr: :evil4:
well, i did live in Berkeley for a few years. i'm ok with hippies as long as they aren't doused in patchouli, or have any other, ahem, odor emanating from them...

anyway, back to the conversation: roller, i hope you have a great trip out here. there are many talented divers on this forum who would be happy to show you some sites. if, for some reason, none are available that week, you could always dive with Pez. :smt064

and when you do arrive in Portland, be sure to let me know.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Hmm....I'll dive with you! I'd like to learn more ASL, anyway. My ex studied to be a translator for awhile, and I picked up enough to know when people were talking about me.

Also, it's funny how since I quit being a pot-smoking hippy, I haven't gone to Portland....
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Josh, so sorry I will be out of town for your entire visit, but I'm glad you found your way here. You won't lack for company.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
MorningDiverBob
Dive-aholic

Post by MorningDiverBob »

rollerboi wrote:Heya! My wife and I will be in the area from June 25-July 1st, and Lynne suggested that I check in with everyone here! :)

My name's Josh, and I grew up in Renton. My wife (Lisa) grew up in Portland. We're both deaf, which really doesn't matter much underwater (or even helps, if you know ASL...) and we read lips ok. :) We live in Utah right now while I finish up school (cue chorus of boos).. we look forward to being able to move back, probably to the Portland area (cue wild cheering), after I finish school.. (cue another round of cheering).. in two years. (cue murmurs of disappointment). ;)

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself for the moment. We're still working out what we're going to be doing and how we're going to afford it. But I definitely would like to get some diving in while we're out there. We certified last year in hot spring-fed reservoirs in Utah, and then have been diving in Mexico a little and recently got some experience trying to dive in 3-ft visibility water. That was an eye-opener for us.

Looking forward to meeting a number of you guys. We'll be staying in Snohomish for the week, and Olympia for the weekend.
Welcome Josh, Sorry for late. I am in California (diving) now. I am deaf diver too \:D/ I live in Marysville near Snohomish. I can lead you and your wife in diving. We can use ASL in water. I will back to WA. on 18th and check my schedule and tide/current. I'll pm you soon.
Go Dive and Dive Safe
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, Bob, I'm so glad you saw this . . . I was hoping Josh and his wife could hook up with you. Not only will it make communication easier, but you've got such great critter eyes -- I'm sure they'll see far more than they would if they tried to diving by themselves!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
rollerboi
Getting To Know Folks

Post by rollerboi »

Thanks! :) I've PM'd you over on Scubaboard, Bob.