NW Dive Club Winter Hood Canal trip, Dec 8-10

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
sparky
I've Got Gills

NW Dive Club Winter Hood Canal trip, Dec 8-10

Post by sparky »

OK Folks after we had such a grate time last trip its time we do a nother trip to the Hood Canal.

Do the BBQ and and Dive thing againe
we need decide on a weekend and a menue
I say we should decide what we want and have some one make a grub run while we are diving < I know Mollie would be willing to do the grub run for us so thats covered.

lets get a List of who will be in
Trailer House will sleep 12 but we can fit a couple more in if folks dont mind shareing some room and there is camp sites at the Rest awhile RV Park for thouse of you that want to bring your RV or Tent

we need to keep in mind we have Turky day and X-mas comeing up as wel so we should plan this allowing for the members with families to be home for that and still come to the weekend dive if they wish

Ok gang shoot Ideas any one?
So far we have
Sparky and wife 1 diver + 1 non Diver
Diver Down and Wife? 2 divers

Sparky
Last edited by sparky on Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Lemme just put this out here. The last NWDC HC BBQ, Was a awesome time. This is a great opportunity to meet some folks from the board. I think Sparky can fill you in the details of the camgrounds. But I have to say that the folks there were great hosts. So lets throw some ideas about what dates would work, so we can reserve the campground dive "casa".

I do want to post this link about current events in the hood canal. I think it would be wise to plan this BBQ for at least a month or so down the road. I am sure that nwscubamom, will fill us in on the details..

PLEASE READ
Who run barter town?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hey Spark! Thanks for taking the initiative in this.

Count me in and my non-diver sweet wife.

Just have to make the dates work.

I second DiverDown's thoughts about moving our date perhaps to November or Mid December to give the Canal some time to recover. As I expressed on the other thread, here's hoping that this is a temporary, cyclical, natural event in the canal from which it will quickly recover. I beleive that the low oxygen levels are one of the "hazzards" because it does not have an outlet and isn't affected by tides and currents as much. Ironically, that is what makes it great for diving...
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I'd like to go as well. I suggest coming up with a few dates to see what works for people. It will be easier to come up with a roster of people who can make it if we know what weekend we're talking about. \:D/
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

How about Deceber 1st,2nd & 3rd... Friday,Saturday & Sunday.
(easy to remeber as 123)
or December 8,9,& 10
I would be able to do Friday and Saturday only, but last year some people came on Sat. and stayed over to Sun. That seemed to work out well.

Count us in for Friday to Saturday
Me- diver
Mouse - diver
and wife - non diver.
:wav:
"This was so much fun, the last time we did this!" :supz:
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

I cannot do the first weekend of December. I might have anywhere from one to three other divers interested, but that weekend is bad for them too.

Rich
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Pending the "all clear" from the doctor :bounce: , Mr. and Mrs. Sounder would tentatively be in (2 divers, but don't count us in yet) for December.

We'd be interested in pulling the trailor (RV style) behind the truck for us so campsite information would be helpful as it is available. We may also be able to help with transportation of people and/or gear. \:D/

Crossing fingers for the doctor's blessing!!! :bounce:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Okay, hows the second weekend look? (8,9 & 10)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

December is good for us.

Here is a link to the RV park rates:
http://www.restawhile.com/rates.asp

Looks great! :bounce:
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Sounder wrote:December is good for us.

Here is a link to the RV park rates:
http://www.restawhile.com/rates.asp

Looks great! :bounce:
Thanks for the link Sounder,But I think that Sparky gets us the secret squirrell rate.. :supz:

Man I hope this all come together. Those that went earlier this year had a great time. Check out the photos..
Who run barter town?
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

I am saveing my vaction time for the trip so im good when ever you guys want to make this happen.
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

BASSMAN wrote:Okay, hows the second weekend look? (8,9 & 10)
So who is interested in going DEC 8,9,10??

I am good for any time in Dec.. So my next question is who owns a party barge?? \:D/

So, Sparky you can include my wife and I, "whenever" we will be there.. :salute:
Who run barter town?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

December 8,9, & 10 would be the best for Mrs. Sounder and I (it's sounding like the doctor will sign off soon too! :supz: ). We're about 90% positive on the trip today, which should improve quickly once a few other things are tied up. :bounce:

We will be towing an RV trailor with plans to stay at Rest-a-while and we would LOVE the "double secret NWDC" price (Sparky?)! \:D/ I didn't realize we had such a connection (and if for some reason we don't, their pricing is quite good already).

We'll be driving an F-350 crew cab with room for 2 extra folks comfortably and have LOTS of room for gear - we'd probably leave Friday after lunch from Seattle and drive down via Olympia (ferries are WAY too expensive with a trailor :pale: ).

As of now Mrs. Sounder is waiting for her dry suit and I'm waiting for the "all clear." We are looking forward to the trip should the planetary alignment allow for it. Last trip's pictures looked like a lot of fun!

PS: If folk's decide to stay at the campground (instead of the 12 person house), we can cook at Casa de Sounder and eat outside under the awning. Food for thought. :partyman:
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

PS: If folk's decide to stay at the campground (instead of the 12 person house), we can cook at Casa de Sounder and eat outside under the awning. Food for thought.
Dude, you obviously haven't seen the dive "casa"!! Thats were the magic happens, "shameless MTV cribs quote".. There is tons of room for for a smorgasbord. Great for after dive Feast!!
Who run barter town?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Hmmm... well, no - I haven't seen the dive casa! Please do tell!

It sleeps 12? Is it 6 bedroom with 2 people per room? What is the bedroom/bathroom arrangement? That would really simplify things (no trailor).

Tell me more! Tell me more! :bounce:
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

If you want to bring your trailer, thats great! But the "swass" hang out at the dive Casa...

ahem.. Bad sir mixalot pun.. :pale:
Who run barter town?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

It sounds great and it certainly would make things simpler. What are the sleeping and bathroom arrangements?
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Sounder

To answer your question
there is only one Bath at the Trailer house
but there is a full bath Shower and toilet
and a half bath in the building across the parking lot so potty brakes are not much of a issue

as to the sleeping this requires a little sharing
one of the bed rooms has a single bed
one has a double bed
two bed rooms have two singles
there are 6 bunk beds
and a couch there is also a Futon

and if some one was to be willing to say bring a sleeping bag you could find a hole on the floor some place.

there is also a kitchen with a few pots and pans and some dishes
a microwave and a coffee maker
along with a fridge. and if we like there can be a Grill there if we request it in advance

you will want to bring your own Blanket though and a pillow if i'm not wrong the ones they supply are not the best

just waiting to here when we want to book and Ill work some thing out with the Rest A while RV park

as to price

and by the way Dec works for me as I love diving in the winter its the best time of year to dive I think
if we are real lucky it might even snow a little for us

I love diving in the snow first thing in the morning .

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Sounder, if you have a trailer definatly bring it. After all thats why you bought it.. You can reserve a spot right next to the "casa". So my wife and I have a place to sleep, err in your trailer?? \:D/ Ha ha, just kidding The campground is big and the dive palace will be the hang out.. :supz:
Who run barter town?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

So the "casa" is right next to the RV park (for some reason I thought it was about 3 miles away... dunno where I got that!)? If that's the case then we'll definitely bring the trailor... no offense as I don't mind sharing and sleeping on the floor, but a private bathroom and bedroom is a HUGE selling point for Mrs. Sounder... who has said the trip sounds fun so long as we don't have anything else preventing it.

Sparky - once we nail down a date (which sounds like Dec 8,9,10 is looking good?), and I know for sure, let me know what I need to do to reserve a full RV hook up (water, elec., sewer) next to the dive casa.

This is sounding like a great time and if the pictures from the last one are any measure, it is sure to please!

How many tanks per-person would you recommend bringing? Is 2 each enough (assuming we can get fills after/between dives)?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Dive trailer rocks! :supz: You have to be secure in your identity as a NOT trailer trash to stay in the cool Dive trailer! :rr:

Dec 8 & 9 works for me.

Bring as many tanks as you own, or can beg or borrow!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Roger that - the trailor is FAR from trailor trash!!! It's quite nice... small, but nice. It's amazing - we've had the trailor for several years (10?) and it still looks like new!

Bring as many tanks as you can? Hmmm... ok. I'll try to borrow a couple more if possible. What is the deal with getting fills?

Dec. 8,9,10 are the best for us - confirmed with Mrs. Sounder.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Fills are not a problem. They just cost money! ](*,) (Sorry, I'm used to free air and only paying for nitrox.)

Air fills are $5, and you can buy a card that gets you a discount and nitrox is $10. Air fills will be hot, and in the 3 to 3200 psi range. (being the Hoover that I am, this is an issue for me) He does not cool off his tanks. That translates into fills that are less than I am used to with my HP 100's. LP's should not be a problem.

I always like to dive Nitrox for trips like this where I want to do a minimum of three dives a day and more if possible! (Being the old fat guy that I am anything I can do to lessen nitrogen exposure is a good thing!) Night dives are great here, and there is LOTS to see at the Rock.

And, BTW, I was referring to the cool trailer house at RestAWhile, not your trailer, Sounder! I'm sure it's the latest and the coolest! :rr:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Dec. 8 & 9 works for me!
Arrive Friday - Leave Saturday
1 bed for me and my wife and 1 bed for Mouse

Sparky? How about you?

:wav: :wav:

No commitments yet, just, everyone, "Chime in" if you think you can do the 8th,9th or 10th
one two or three days is totally up to the individual.

Sparky, I forgot what the cost per person /per night was. :dontknow:
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

BASSMAN wrote:Dec. 8 & 9 works for me!
Arrive Friday - Leave Saturday
1 bed for me and my wife and 1 bed for Mouse

Sparky? How about you?

:wav: :wav:

No commitments yet, just, everyone, "Chime in" if you think you can do the 8th,9th or 10th
one two or three days is totally up to the individual.

Sparky, I forgot what the cost per person /per night was. :dontknow:

we will be one diver ( ME)
and one non diver my wife Mollie
not sure about the Graand son this trip Nana ( Mollie ) has not made up her mind if she wants to bring him yet

but he will sleep with her if we do and I will be in the water againe

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man