neck seal issue

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

neck seal issue

Post by Burntchef »

so i seem to be having a issue with my neck seal, it doesent leak but after a long dive i notice it starts to feel like its chafing and when i take it off im left with what looks like a strangle mark on my neck, and actually rubs a little skin off my adams apple. the seal doesent feel tight and is very comfortable, i use plenty of talc.

everyone at work sees the marks on my neck and thinks im into some odd kinky stuff or im being abused at home :pale: i usually tell them its the latter to my girlfriends dismay.

so any ideas on what is causing this??
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

I'm assuming it's a latex neck seal...some people are allergic to latex and another possibility if it's something black rubbing off as opposed to an allergic reaction is that pollution (oils in the water) can cause your neck seal to deteriorate. For a while every dive I did at Cove2 would leave my neck seal feeling as if a soft drink had spilled on it. This eventually breaks down the latex and it will rub off on your neck.

I'm pretty sure your situation is one of those two scenarios.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

i can rule out allergy since ive worn latex gloves at work for years and the mark is only on the front of my neck.

and it has happened the last 3 dives one at alki, one at eup, and one at mukilteo. the seal is in great shape too.

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

burntchef wrote: ... the mark is only on the front of my neck ...
Perhaps some irritation / reaction because of shaving / shaving cream / lotion / gel? (Sounds like the affected area is where your beard grows.)

Even if you haven't changed any brand of shave lotion, manufacturers still can change the formulation. "New & improved!!!"

If you were latex-allergic, I agree you would have had it all around your neck and around your wrists.
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Mrs. Sounder had that same "hickey" when she first dove her suit. It was just kind of rubbing and a bit too tight on that spot... course, I told everyone that she's freaky. :la:

Is it a new seal? We're expecting hers to stretch out a bit with time.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

the seal has about 10 dives on it, maybe i will do another over night stretch with my tank

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

thought about that, has anyone here tried those?

thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

Calvin Tang wrote:Get an Apollo Bio Seal.
or ... for 1/5 of the price of that item, give NWSD a call ... my bf's neck seal is a touch too big and isn't an easy replacement, so he just bought a quick fix item for it - it's from diving concepts, but i'm not sure what the item is - "neck enlarger" perhaps? it's basically a swath of neoprene formed into a circle that you wear between your neck and the latex seal. it's only $10 ... so if you don't like it, it's not like you blew 1/2 of a scuba unit.
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I think Calvin and Thelawgoddess are speaking of the same thing.
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

they look the same; just sure don't cost the same. my bf used his today and loved it. he said it's so much more comfortable than the latex seal alone. hmm; i'm a bit jealous now. :-)
my FLICKR photo sets
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

If it's just the size that's the problem then what LG refers to is just fine. I use a bio seal because I am allergic to latex and neoprene. The bio seal creates a barrier between the suit's seal and my skin, because it is made of a material that does not bother the skin. Without it I get irritation along the neckline. The bio seal also helps to distribute the squeeze of your seal to a larger area, thus making you more comfortable. I've had one for almost a year now and it's a little worn, but works fine. They're very stretchy (normally about 3-4", but can stretch to a couple feet in diameter) and jelly-like. They also make these for wrists.
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

i think the guy at the shop said he uses one of these neoprene neck rings because they are really comfortable - especially when doing numerous dives and being in your drysuit all day. my impression from him and my bf is that it pretty much nullifies any of the normal irritation associated with the latex seal. i haven't seen the apollo product in person, but i'm thinking it's probably wider and thinner, so yeah - if your neckseal is super-tight already, you'd probably have to have it trimmed a notch to wear the diving concepts fix.
my FLICKR photo sets
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

calvin do use the apollo neck seal?? i read that you arenot to use talc on it but i use plenty of talc on my seal, what do you do??

Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

I use the bio-seals, they are nice. I used them because my seals are too big (my husband uses them as well. ) WE have neoprene neck seals but they are very comfortable and easy to use. It might be worth a try. I would let you use mine if you want to try it. Although I live way south...
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

so do the people who use the bio seals still talc there dry suit?