What were we all thinking ??

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

What were we all thinking ??

Post by H20doctor »

well as i came down the hill to see the edmonds view in sight i saw the white caps.... i thought to myself well they are Prob just way out there ... and thats exactly what Norris said to himself as he drove down the hill , but this was not the case for us diver today at Edmonds underwater park.. after getting parking and seeing that the dive sight was 3 foot rouge waves and white caps.... Us Yahoo's decided " hey we are here to dive , lets dive " I walked to go to the Bathroom before suiting up, because i dont sport a Pee valve #-o and i asked a diver who had dove already " Hows the Vis " he said " terrible you cant see a thing " and then i said " really ? " He said " " ya we swam out and it was really bad .... Now i should have listened to this guy , but 2 thoughts ran through my brain.. this guy didnt swim out past the goo line far enough to see clear water... and the other thought was ... He im diving !!!! I'm Here.... and Im diving !!!! :metal:
we get into the water and out group is Pensacola , April, and Dashrynn , as im in the surge and coverd in Goo, and seeweed Dashrynn breaks a fin strap , so he goes to dive with Norris and his crew. So we swim to a Bouy , being followed by Bruce Higgins and he Park Gansters on a giant floaty thing with a dive flag on it... Bruce has 3 in his team 2 guys on doubles , and bruce is on the same ... SO I go over the rules of If i cant see you and we get seperated , Come the Hell up and re group... We drop on this bouy and its soup, I cant see a foot in my face and when i get down to a whoping 6 feet Its brown , chocolate soup. Ive lost Pensacola already, my deathlight is barely .... Barely visable , and Now i hear a clanking metal sound ? clank ...clank... im thinking sounds Like metal smashing together.. Underwater .... Next thing i feel is the slam of metal on my head .. BLAMO . Holy Crap !!! there are 3 tanks off of Bruce Higgins gilligans Island float raft , and they are dangling 4 feet down off of it for ????? With the pain on my skull I then fear for chad and aprill being knocked the hellout ... i got april too see it but chad is no where to be found ? so we come up
Back on the surface chad comes up , So we decide to swim out to a farther bouy ... which we do 20 mins lalter , tired ... exausted ..and being thrashed by waves and white caps ...we go down ... Now going down we had 4 feet of vis on the rope, but once down on the bottom, it was the same all over again... cloudy soup.. I couldnt see anything ..i couldnt tell where anything was ..all i know was we were on a pipe thing and i coudnt even see the BIG FAT ROPES .... I swam in a circle Barely ..and re found the Bouy rope... i gave everyone the signal to get back to the top .... Back on top we all agreed this was a joke trying to dive in this crap ... So chad said take a heading we will all swim in underwater ( cause its easier ) and re group in ten minutes... Done.... April and I drop back into the Goo , and try to swim in... Now this is where its get funky :partydance: at certin times i cant see my compass in front of my face , I have No reference to the Bottom, or where it is ?..... when I kick i cant see myself Moving anywhere ? i feel myself kicking ... i feel myself kicking... But it doesnt look like im traveling any distance ? AND the other funny thing is the only depth reference is my computer says 14 feet ... and I cant see the surface !!! All you see is cloudy silty water in your face :der: And some how april is staying close to me in a visual reference AMAZING DIVER GIRL WITH SKILZZZZZZZ !!!!
we after some ghost swimming i come up again to the surface with my dive partner...and ive givin up... on the surface we are a little past the walking jetty , on top i am really sea sick now !!!! can you imagine at EUP ? im getting sea sick .... And im feeling like puking :vom: ...Chad managed to nav back in like a Mother Fo .. and he was almost on shore !! DUDE you Rock :supz:
Back on the shore im fatigued , tired...... drained... So i decide to lay there on the beach like a beached whale out of water... Chad decides to film ... Good times .. What once started to be a fun filled day excited to dive edmonds...see the triump... and LING ZILLA .... turned out to be the worst dive ever , and now ranks as my # 3 for the Books ... The best part of the dive was Lunch and cold beer at Rory's ..... Chad and Dashrynn made the drive all the way down for Nuthin.... Sorry Guys .. But " what the Hell were we all thinking ? "
on a last note i got to meet Scott Sax and his Grr ....( edited ) LOL
Last edited by H20doctor on Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Re: What were we all thinking ??

Post by H20doctor »

Me happy before the dive
Chris.jpg
Me and april covered in seeweed
IMG_4478.JPG
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W81d-lv ... r_embedded[/youtube]

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/6914329[/vimeo]
Last edited by H20doctor on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Makes you appreciate the 15' viz dives that much more. 0]

D(B)
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

I am sitting at my desk reading your post and can completely visualize myself being in your shoes (well, fins, I guess)....especially the part where you are laying on the beach at the end, completely exhausted and seasick..... Yet, the worst day of diving beats the best day at work, as they say....and we all keep on diving in the PNW and loving it, even the bad days. Thanks for sharing.

Back to work now for me. Blah.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
RPLavatar
Getting To Know Folks

Post by RPLavatar »

Yes, that was crazy! Now I know what an oyster cracker feels like when its dumped into a bowl of chowder! :smt119
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Yes this dive was one of the worst ever; but as I posted in the Sun EUP thread I got in some MAD nav drills. I too felt that going out FAR would have gotten us out of the crap but nooooo. So lessons learned:

EUP's bottom WILL be jacked up on rough days.
Although you can see the SILT line dont be fooled into thinking that it will clear up once you swim past it.
Trust your compass!
Get some potassium into the system when you work your legs like that

Rick
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

This day has been the worst for me so far...besides my cert dives which in the beginning was like crap soup. I road the waves back due to being to hot and tired and sea sick...I threw up 4 times total on the way back....oh...and i looked wayyyy worse than doc when i came out.. I heard a child running in the distance as i walked to shower off! lol :smt119
April
Dive-aholic

Post by April »

I wouldn't call it the worst dive ever... maybe the shortest dive ever but far from the worst! Nav skills, buddy skills, swimming in chop...We also learned that there are times when even the DEATH LIGHT is not bright enough! if only the shore break was a little higher, that would have made things really interesting!
April
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Wow that sucks! I'm watching the video of the swamp thing and laughing out loud. I was going to join you guys but my gear is all set up for doubles right now and the thought of swimming out to the triumph in them...well let's just say Pez is right I am getting a little soft. Looks like I didn't miss much.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

April wrote:I wouldn't call it the worst dive ever... maybe the shortest dive ever but far from the worst! Nav skills, buddy skills, swimming in chop...We also learned that there are times when even the DEATH LIGHT is not bright enough! if only the shore break was a little higher, that would have made things really interesting!

Wow! Have another glass of PNW Koolaid why don't you? :koolaid: :laughing3:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Yep, Been there and done that! Hopefully I learned a valuable lesson from it and you did too. Always error on the sane side. Go have a beer and a Taco or something and talk about diving rather than doin the macho "I'm hear to dive" bit. If it's bad out there odds are it will get worse if you try to dive and it just ain't no fun playing drowned rat. Not to mention it's just plain stupid taking risks when there is always another day.

It's better to sit on the sidelines than to dance with a gorilla!
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Dusty2 wrote: It's better to sit on the sidelines than to dance with a gorilla!
but i like monkeys...and gorillas...
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Dashrynn wrote:

That's just because you're related :neener:
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:

That's just because you're related :neener:
your mom goes to college! :80sdance:

strangly enough...yes :eric: ....hmm who would have figured that out... :idea:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Hey Dash... How did you like the zero Vis ? Its gets pretty creepy sometimes even during the day ... this dive for me 8 years ago would have sent me into a serious underwater panic :jason:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sheri (dive buddy, not wife, Chris...) and I took one look at the nightmare that was out there, brown water, whitecaps, serious wind, and said, "The hell with that!" We saw Norris and company out at the end of the jetty, valiantly struggling against the waves, and were told that they'd been out there for 45 minutes already. I briefly thought about suiting up so I could tow somebody back to shore, but they were bound and determined to get out there and see what could be seen. Which I could've told them would be nothing.... Met H20doc and April as they climbed out of the water.... Decided to go look at the Edmonds Marina Jetty. Pretty choppy still, but no brown water.... Let's hit Cove 2!

Off we go to West Seattle. The water's smooth, the tide's out, it looks good. Another diver tells us the visibility is close to 20 feet-let's go!

Uh...Sheri? I have my backplate, but my not my wing... #-o :banghead:

So after several hours, no diving yesterday...

Damn...
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

H20doctor wrote:Hey Dash... How did you like the zero Vis ? Its gets pretty creepy sometimes even during the day ... this dive for me 8 years ago would have sent me into a serious underwater panic :jason:
I wasn't scared just too freaking hot...and sea sick..I learned a valuable lesson concerning neoprene drysuit's....don't wear thick undergarments...

On my 2nd cert dive in langley it was bad viz like eup yesterday, I never get scared unless i was in a Spot like I was really cold and dark...and my buddy is missing...but that's just a scenario I never wanna be in. We had to nav out of the mess in langley....now I have seen 30ft viz in langley before...it was beautiful!
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

I thought it was a great day yesterday. There were several times this year I was crabbing in the same type of vis at Polnell Point. If it wasn't for that long surface swim, I could have stayed down for a whole tank of air and just felt my way around.

Yes, I will have another glass of Kool-Aid now.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

pensacolaracer wrote:I thought it was a great day yesterday. There were several times this year I was crabbing in the same type of vis at Polnell Point. If it wasn't for that long surface swim, I could have stayed down for a whole tank of air and just felt my way around.

Yes, I will have another glass of Kool-Aid now.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

scottsax wrote:Uh...Sheri? I have my backplate, but my not my wing... #-o :banghead:
so sheri does still dive! at least when her buddy is fully equipped, that is...
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

spatman wrote:
scottsax wrote:Uh...Sheri? I have my backplate, but my not my wing... #-o :banghead:
so sheri does still dive! at least when her buddy is fully equipped, that is...
In fact, she does! Sometimes. She's trying to find cover for her call on Saturday so she can make the club dive.
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

scottsax wrote:Sheri (dive buddy, not wife, Chris...) and I took one look at the nightmare that was out there, brown water, whitecaps, serious wind, and said, "The hell with that!" We saw Norris and company out at the end of the jetty, valiantly struggling against the waves, and were told that they'd been out there for 45 minutes already. I briefly thought about suiting up so I could tow somebody back to shore, but they were bound and determined to get out there and see what could be seen. Which I could've told them would be nothing.... Met H20doc and April as they climbed out of the water.... Decided to go look at the Edmonds Marina Jetty. Pretty choppy still, but no brown water.... Let's hit Cove 2!

Off we go to West Seattle. The water's smooth, the tide's out, it looks good. Another diver tells us the visibility is close to 20 feet-let's go!

Uh...Sheri? I have my backplate, but my not my wing... #-o :banghead:

So after several hours, no diving yesterday...

Damn...
You had a drysuit didn't you! :biggrin:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

gcbryan wrote:You had a drysuit didn't you! :biggrin:
Believe me, for a second it crossed my mind! :80sdance:

dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

You guys should have come to Redondo instead. 40+ foot viz, lots of critters out. We didn't try to go down the steps because the waves were crashing clear up to the top one at times! We saw some divers go in that way, and it confirmed one thing: there really are people out there who are utterly insane. But we went over to the beach and the entry was easily doable, so we went and had a blast. The surface swim out to the buoy was a little rough but nothing we haven't done before, and 10 feet below the surface everything was calm and clear (okay, "clear" Puget-soundishly speaking).
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

After Dashrynn headed in Paul and I swam out even further and had a fair dive way out in the park. Our max depth was 38fsw and we had 10'-15' of viz. Saw some big lings and cabbies. Defiantly not worth the swim out though. I used to do a lot of winter windsurfing on the Sound so the surface swim didn't seem too intimidating.

Our dive two at the Marina Jetty was much better. We had fairly normal viz but there was some surge along the shallower sections of the jetty.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver