PVC Drysuit Drying Rack

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
DBrown
Frequent Bubbler

PVC Drysuit Drying Rack

Post by DBrown »

Here are some shots of last weekend's project (other than diving, natch). Behold the PVC drysuit rack, complete with mounted leaf-blower for reducing drying time and making it look cool. :)

KTB, NAR, and I spent the afternoon on Saturday building three of these (one for each). The first was the toughest, even using NAR's excellent parts list and photos / diagrams of Aaron's unit down at Tacoma Scuba. By the third one, we were putting them together in about 30 minutes from first cut to test. Still, it took awhile. ;)
The parts before we started cutting...
The parts before we started cutting...
Overview Shot
Overview Shot
Front lower close up
Front lower close up
Rear lower close-up
Rear lower close-up
Arm and Neck or Hood Dry Vents
Arm and Neck or Hood Dry Vents
Now all I need to do is get my drysuit back from Bare (hopefully fully repaired so it doesn't leak)!
================================================
In the immortal last words of Socrates..."I drank what??"
Geek
Pelagic

Re: PVC Drysuit Drying Rack

Post by Geek »

Nice Derrick, but you were supposed to build 4 of them... where's mine? :tappingfoot:

:geek:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Wrong.... There were supposed to be 5 of them!

Seriously, though, it looks really nice. Does the leaf blower blow too hard? (I have visions of gloves and hoods flying across the garage when it's turned on.)

If I had one, I'd probably be inclined to hose out the inside of my suit periodically....
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
DBrown
Frequent Bubbler

Post by DBrown »

Geek wrote:Nice Derrick, but you were supposed to build 4 of them... where's mine? :tappingfoot:

:geek:
Heheh -- you have to show up so we can custom fit you. Now that we know how, I'm sure we can be bribed with pizza and beer. ;)
DBrown
Frequent Bubbler

Post by DBrown »

scottsax wrote:Wrong.... There were supposed to be 5 of them!

Seriously, though, it looks really nice. Does the leaf blower blow too hard? (I have visions of gloves and hoods flying across the garage when it's turned on.)

If I had one, I'd probably be inclined to hose out the inside of my suit periodically....
Line forms behind Geek. :) Heheh.

As for the leaf blower power: one very important tip -- buy the continuously variable model of leaf blower, not the two or three speed model. The ones we picked up at Home Depot were $70 and can be adjusted from very soft to "Wendy, I can fly!" speeds. :partydance:
DBrown
Frequent Bubbler

Post by DBrown »

I'm also considering extending mine to add dedicated spots for my gloves and hood. That way the suit, neck, arms, gloves, and hood could all be dried at once. I would just add a second set of arms to the front and poke them full of holes. Hmmm...wonder if Nick wants to break out the reciprocating saw and our left-over PVC... :biggrin:
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

That looks really cool. I have heard (but have no idea if it's true) that running electric motors near latex seals can be bad for the seals. Something about ozone or sumsuch. Anyone know if this is true or an urban legend?

Those pictures make me want to run over to Home Depot in short order.Nicely done. =D>
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:That looks really cool. I have heard (but have no idea if it's true) that running electric motors near latex seals can be bad for the seals. Something about ozone or sumsuch. Anyone know if this is true or an urban legend?

Those pictures make me want to run over to Home Depot in short order.Nicely done. =D>
Good ventilation + small electric motor should be a non-issue. Just don't store your suit in the same closet as your HVAC blower.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

scottsax wrote:If I had one, I'd probably be inclined to hose out the inside of my suit periodically....
you could just turn the suit inside out to dry like the rest of us do. :biggrin:
DBrown
Frequent Bubbler

Post by DBrown »

spatman wrote:
scottsax wrote:If I had one, I'd probably be inclined to hose out the inside of my suit periodically....
you could just turn the suit inside out to dry like the rest of us do. :biggrin:
That just takes too long. :neener:

Oh, and my socks never get really dry. :biggrin:
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

DBrown wrote:Oh, and my socks never get really dry. :biggrin:
My socks never get wet! :neener:
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

](*,)
trevorrowe wrote:
People wear SOCKS?!?!
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
DBrown
Frequent Bubbler

Post by DBrown »

oregondiver wrote:](*,)
trevorrowe wrote:
People wear SOCKS?!?!
I meant my drysuit socks silly... :)
DBrown
Frequent Bubbler

Post by DBrown »

trevorrowe wrote:
Maybe I'll be able to say that with my fixed and (hopefully now) leakproof drysuit. Otherwise...not so much...
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
DBrown
Frequent Bubbler

Post by DBrown »

:laughing3:

Hang on...ROTFLOL...wait...still laughing...

Whew. That is some randomly funny &^@& right there. :laugh:
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

DBrown wrote:
spatman wrote:
That just takes too long. :neener:

Oh, and my socks never get really dry. :biggrin:
Yeah, I had been envious of Aaron's "PVC man" for a while, but I finally forced the issue when I rinsed my suit last week and after two days of "drying" the inside of my neoprene socks were still soaking wet. And my front-zip tri-lam isn't that easy to turn inside out, so . . . a trip to the Home Despot was in order.

Although I must admit, I let the guys have their fun with the power tools while I "supervised." Sometimes it's nice to be a girl.
;)
Kelly
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

Here is my version, everyone has a different take on how to make a drier. It was modeled after a Peet shoe drier. It dries suit gently overnight using the heat from a couple of low wattage light bulbs. Makes a great night light too! Its silent for those who are noise intolerant and it is in Diver Black. :partydance:

Sorry for the fuzzy pic, it was grabbed from instructions I put together when I built the drier over 5 years ago.
Attachments
Drier_complete.jpg
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

4ster wrote:Here is my version, everyone has a different take on how to make a drier. It was modeled after a Peet shoe drier. It dries suit gently overnight using the heat from a couple of low wattage light bulbs. Makes a great night light too! Its silent for those who are noise intolerant and it is in Diver Black. :partydance:

Sorry for the fuzzy pic, it was grabbed from instructions I put together when I built the drier over 5 years ago.

I like it! I use a peet dryer, but have to turn my suit inside out to get the feet to fit over the tubes. How does the whole light bulb thing work? You are not worried about it melting the plastic?
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

I put low wattage bulbs in the drier, I think they are 25 watt, no more than 40. Convection circulates the air in the drier so heat doesn't build up around the bulbs. It hasn't melted yet.

Anyone interested in building something like this pm me with an email address and I will send a pdf with instructions and a materials list. It takes less than 2 hours to put together.
Last edited by 4ster on Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Penopolypants wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa-QUaqUN3w[/youtube]
:rofl: :rofl:

I want to play in that band!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

scottsax wrote:
They're a motley crew, for sure. You just missed them at the Triple Door last February.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Penopolypants wrote:
scottsax wrote:
They're a motley crew, for sure. You just missed them at the Triple Door last February.
i saw them in Tuscon back in 03 or 04. awesome show.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I built one years ago. I use a hair dryer for air or heat. Works great.
Charles
DBrown
Frequent Bubbler

Post by DBrown »

4ster wrote:Here is my version, everyone has a different take on how to make a drier. It was modeled after a Peet shoe drier. It dries suit gently overnight using the heat from a couple of low wattage light bulbs. Makes a great night light too! Its silent for those who are noise intolerant and it is in Diver Black. :partydance:

That one is cool! :highfive: More ideas for my next go around. :)