Coveting a CCR at Redondo

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Coveting a CCR at Redondo

Post by gutholmj »

I met up with yelloweye (Eric) for a dive at Redondo tonight, hum 12:45 am, ok yesterday. I've never been diving with Eric before and I warned him that I would be lusting after his CCR.

After working through some minor issues, we made the long walk down to the water at around 7:15 pm. The tide was way out and it really was a long walk. Our plan was to head down the small rope and do the basic N-S route. As we made our way downslope, Eric pointed out the first cool find of the day, a Grunt Sculpin. Then 2, then 3. Next up on the menu was the smallest stubby I've ever seen. It was about the size of my pinky fingernail. Eric's eyes are definitely better than mine. There were more stubbys to come as well as numerous red octopus. Eric saw a couple of market squid but I only saw one of them and we even got buzzed by a seal. Eric saw the seal but I only saw the silt cloud. Finally there were lots of Sailfin Sculpin. I really love those little buggers but they are never in a good position to take pictures.

I felt like a total lametard for having to end the dive after only 1:40. Yet another reason to get a rebreather. It was really sweet watching Eric silently hover around me. Visibility was surprisingly good at around 12-15'.

Eric, it was great meeting you and diving with you. We need to do it again soon but I don't think this is going to bode well for my finances or my marriage.
Attachments
DSC_0307.jpg
DSC_0335.jpg
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Coveting a CCR at Redondo

Post by YellowEye »

Hey James
Good to meet you and great to dive with you!
Nice dive report. I also really liked to see all the little Plainfin Midshipman out there too.
Thanks for helping me sort out the issues before the dive :)

I'm coveting your camera in response. Great sailfin sculpin pic! Wow! Probably the best I've ever seen!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more! Your fellow diver will appreciate any viz reports you can add!
msmith80
Just Settling In

Post by msmith80 »

Glad i could help with the allen wrench.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

I agree, fantastic picture of the sailfin!!!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Lots of grunt sculpins at Redondo right now ... I saw at least a dozen on my dive with Lynne and Sergei the other evening ... seven of them on the north end of the sewer pipe ... and three of those were juveniles ...

... Bob (Grateful DIver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

msmith80 wrote:Glad i could help with the allen wrench.
Mike, thanks again for allen wrench. Without it we would have had to cancel. I hope you all had a good dive. By the time we surfaced, you were gone but perhaps we'll run into each other sometime when there's more time for pre/post dive yakking.
msmith80
Just Settling In

Post by msmith80 »

gutholmj wrote:
msmith80 wrote:Glad i could help with the allen wrench.
Mike, thanks again for allen wrench. Without it we would have had to cancel. I hope you all had a good dive. By the time we surfaced, you were gone but perhaps we'll run into each other sometime when there's more time for pre/post dive yakking.
After spending the last 2 weeks diving in Cozumel, being the first "cold" dive ive done since before thanksgiving lets just say i miss the 80 degree water. Even diving dry its was a little chilly. One of the guys with us was diving wetsuit... but he only made one dive. Going back out there Saturday i think to get me and the wife back comfortable with the extra gear. :)
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

Thanks for the comments on the pics.

The Grunts that I saw were all in or near the boat that's just below the big metal tank/pipe thingy. What do people call that thing anyway? I recall that Eric said he saw quite a few more.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

gutholmj wrote:The Grunts that I saw were all in or near the boat that's just below the big metal tank/pipe thingy. What do people call that thing anyway? I recall that Eric said he saw quite a few more.
From my understanding, it was an observation tower (it actually has a window in it--I'm assuming on the side that rests of on the ground now) that used to stand upright at the end of the pier back from the days when the site was used for training for commercial diving (of which the pipe boat is a result). Prior to the remodeling of MaST, both the observation tower along with the ladder at the end of the pier were unattached from the pier and left to reside where they are both now. When I first started diving in Puget Sound, I would use the ladder as a descent guide. Its removal made me grow up a bit in my skills...hehe.
Jenn
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Hey James, Really nice shot on that sailfin! You really lucked out with that camera deal!

I can just see it now---- You want to spend 10 grand on WHAT???? :eek: :penelope: :popcorn:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

What on earth are you using for an undergarment, that's allowing you a comfortable 100 minute dive in 48 degree water??? I was ready to head home at 36 minutes the other night.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

LCF wrote:What on earth are you using for an undergarment, that's allowing you a comfortable 100 minute dive in 48 degree water??? I was ready to head home at 36 minutes the other night.
James wears a Weezle under a tri lam suit. I regularly do 70-80 minute dives with him but he has a pee valve and I don't.
Things get a bit intense for me after 60 minutes or so, being as I DON'T have a pee valve.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

cardiver wrote:
LCF wrote:What on earth are you using for an undergarment, that's allowing you a comfortable 100 minute dive in 48 degree water??? I was ready to head home at 36 minutes the other night.
James wears a Weezle under a tri lam suit.

OOOOOH-RAH!!!! :highfive:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Post by gutholmj »

Dusty2 wrote:Hey James, Really nice shot on that sailfin! You really lucked out with that camera deal!

I can just see it now---- You want to spend 10 grand on WHAT???? :eek: :penelope: :popcorn:
Thanks Rich. I am continually amazed at how nice that 8 year old camera performs. About the only things I find lacking are that it only has 5 selectable focus points and they are not really where I want them most. Second, it doesn't perform very well above ISO 400 which is useful sometimes. It is still a much better camera than I am a photographer.
cardiver wrote:
James wears a Weezle under a tri lam suit. I regularly do 70-80 minute dives with him but he has a pee valve and I don't.
Things get a bit intense for me after 60 minutes or so, being as I DON'T have a pee valve.
And, I really wish I would have gotten the Extreme Plus. Perhaps I need one of each.

Eric's undergarment probably doesn't matter because he's rebreathing all that moist warm air. Where's the green with envy smiley? It would be fun to calculate the heat loss due to respiration on OC sometime to see how much of a contributing factor it is. Conditions are about as bad as you can get with super cold super dried air.

Ron, I'll never forget you at Alki Pipeline, 1hr+ into the dive, pointing at something presumably on the bottom, below your crotch. I look around, nope, I don't see anything interesting. I know, let's go slower and take more pictures. :rofl:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

gutholmj wrote: I felt like a total lametard for having to end the dive after only 1:40. Yet another reason to get a rebreather.
Come on over to the Dark Side™, the water's great!
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Forgive me dive buddies for I have sinned. It has been 1 month since I have gotten wet with any of you. Seems life gets in the way, but I think tomorrow I will have to procure my tanks from the shop and now that I think about it pay for another annual fill.

Awesome pics James :notworthy:

OH James your saying 1:40 on your tanks, GEEEZ were you breath holding again. :smt064 :popcorn:
Jeff Castor
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Who are you?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

my longest dive to date is 79 mins
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I know HUH Ron I dont even know myself sometimes.

Now that you mention my longest dive was with James at Redondo at 1:20 :partydance: on 130's of course
Jeff Castor
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Yeah, with having a pee valve ,I think James might be breathing like a girl now! :joshsmith:

I only hope that some day, someone will accuse me of breathing like a girl :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

BASSMAN wrote:I only hope that some day, someone will accuse me of breathing like a girl :supz:
As long as they don't accuse you of breeding like a girl, all will be okay.