Gear Review...

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Gear Review...

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Decided to try out some gear yesterday and it was NICE

Aeris Cuda Dry Snorkel: Many of you don't dive snorkels but I actually like to dive with one. I like this snorkel a lot and it does stay dry while snorkeling. However, underwater, I could feel the top of the snorkel constantly. Besides that, very comfortable.

Atomic Frameless mask: I have a subframe and the ARC mask so I was anxious to dive with this one. It fits very well and the range of vision is the best that I have ever used. It comes in 2 sizes, regular, and mid-fit. I love this mask and clearing it is a breeze.

Aeris Elite T3: For those of you who don't know, Aeris and Oceanic are owned by the same people and have the same products, with different names. The Oceanic version of this computer is the VR3. I haven't been happy with my Cobra for a long time and so my goal was to move it to a warm water setup, and get a hoseless unit to dive in Puget Sound. This computer is very nice. No problems with the link and not as conservative as my Cobra. It is nice getting rid of the hose as well. The USB connection is very nice and you can program the wrist computer from it. It has a feature so you can read your buddy's air, if they have a transmitter on their tank. This computer does not work for me in warm water, or the pool because the wrist strap is too big. But, over my drysuit, it works perfect.

As for my warm water setup, I am looking at the Mares V42 Proton (She Dives). They come in next month, along with the Mares MV Octo (replaces the Dacor Viper) This octo is nice for teaching because it can be put in upside down and breathes the same.
Last edited by Pinkpadigal on Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I've been diving the Scubapro Laguna snorkel in the pool which is the same snorkel as the Cuda. I've only breathed off of it in the pooll since I only wear a snorkel when I'm teaching and just let it dangle there in the Openwater.

I like the fact that it's dry but because it's dry, the pressure at depth want's to collapse it and tries to suck your tongue out of your mouth. I can't imagine what it would be like at 30' it's almost painful at 13'.

As snorkels go this design is pretty cool.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
RSdancey
Avid Diver

Thread Hijack?

Post by RSdancey »

Should we post comments about unusual gear we're using on this thread, or did the OP mean this to be a place to get comments about the gear she reviewed?

Ryan
gomi_otaku
Aquaphile

I second the Atomic Frameless mask

Post by gomi_otaku »

I bought the Atomic Frameless mask at the Dive Fair this summer after having leaks with my other mask- It is great! I also like that they are using super clear glass as well, like they say on their data sheet, look at any other mask from the edge and you will see that it is green tinted ("float" glass) The skirt is very flexible and fits great, I have had a hard time with finding a mask that fits well and seals and this one is it.
gomi_
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

What I love about Atomic is that they make great gear. Most manufactures make a range of dive gear but they don't. Atomic just makes the best.

I have been diving their fins, regs and masks for over a year now and I have to say their stuff is the best on the market. I had a problem with a mask...they took it back, no questions asked.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

I really want to try those new Atomic fins sometime :) Wish I could persuade myself that my Dacor fins needed replacing...but with the upcoming very very expensive purchases, I guess I'll have to hold on to them for awhile!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Love my Atomic regs! Upside-down, low psi, deep/shallow, cold/warm - the B2 and Z2 rock!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
747pilot
Frequent Bubbler

Post by 747pilot »

Love my Atomic regs! Upside-down, low psi, deep/shallow, cold/warm - the B2 and Z2 rock!

I'll Ditto that.