Straps anyone?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
greenacarina
Avid Diver

Straps anyone?

Post by greenacarina »

OK, so this may seem a little odd but since I encountered it...I thought maybe someone else has, too.
I bought a used BP/W setup a while back and the crotch strap was too short. I figure no problem...it's just a piece of nylon webbing. Went to every fabric store, craft store, and REI....no luck! Ed's Suplus had the right size (1.5") and it was nylon, but no black...had to settle for blue or green. Apparently 1.5" is an odd size.
Found a few places on the 'net that sold it, but with the shipping it ended up being pretty expensive for just a short piece.
Finally, I found strapworks.com and they have a HUGE selection of strap material, sizes, colors, buckles, D-rings, etc....
all at good prices.
I have no affiliation with the site, was just happy to have found them and hoping maybe it will do someone else some good.

Chris
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Straps anyone?

Post by Penopolypants »

Strapworks is pretty awesome and I recommend them too, but did you try Seattle Fabrics?
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Another place to check out is Discount Divers Supply on Westlake Ave N. They have plain webbing in 2" and I think 1.5" widths. Plus a bunch of used & surplus gear at less than retail. The crotch straps on my rigs are 2" in a softer material, which seems to work fine.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Wow that is the first positive review I have ever seen for Discount Divers.

I have a commercial sewing machine and make a lot of my own stuff. I made my own harness with parts on my last 2 plates. For the price I could spend and do it myself I just ordered 2 of the padded strap (I hear it helps with dry suit wear) from, http://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/dr_bpw.shtml
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
greenacarina
Avid Diver

Post by greenacarina »

Penopolypants wrote:Strapworks is pretty awesome and I recommend them too, but did you try Seattle Fabrics?
That was one place I didn't try. Got so frustrated with all my running around in Snohomish County (I live in Everett), I wasn't going to Seattle. There was 1 fabric store that did have 1.5" nylon webbing....but they only had 1 color.....it was pink. Now, generally speaking I am man enough to wear pink (in fact there's kind of a running joke at work with me and a few things I have that are pink)....but when my whole setup is essentially black and the ONE THING that would be pink is my CROTCH STRAP....uh, I gotta draw the line somewhere. :)

Chris
greenacarina
Avid Diver

Post by greenacarina »

OK, first I gotta say thanks to everyone for their advice and opinions. I am brand spankin new and I'll take all the info I can get! Even the seemingly small stuff makes a big difference.
I am going with the 1.5" only because that's what is currently attached to my wing (Deep Outdoors brand...an oddball, I know). One end is sewn on, so it's no small task to change it. Seemed to work fine yesterday (although I have a lot to learn not only about this wing, but diving in a drysuit as well).
I'm sure as I gain more experience my equipment and preferences will change.
Hearing about the orange drysuit, I'm thinking my pink crotch strap might not have been so bad! :)
Thanks a bunch you guys, I appreciate all the info!
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

greenacarina wrote: Hearing about the orange drysuit, I'm thinking my pink crotch strap might not have been so bad! :)
Thanks a bunch you guys, I appreciate all the info!
LOL - Pink is the softest and most comfortable color there is :) Well, next to orange at least..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Everything else in this thread aside, if you ever need hardware/software/buckles/bangles/pink/orange/etc... I was actually at Seattle Fabric Supply today and they have a couple shelves with a fair bit of 1.5" and drawers of stuff (even SS D-rings) to adorn it with. There was even one roll of 1.5" black nylon that was reeeeeaaaly stiff labeled 'diving' which made me giggle a bit cause i'd never want THAT stuff as a crotch strap. I pity the drysuit that it comes in contact with... (they've learned that divers like the resin impregnated for weight belts and harnesses and things so actually stock it) The down side of that place is with velcro, shock cord, cord, webbing, neoprene, spandex, etc... I never seem to be able to escape for under $50. (get your minds out of the gutter, i'm making a new Dome port cover)

Green... Enjoy your harness! 1.5 will work just fine :) Don't worry about the style police, just dive and have fun! (though I do recommend whatever thickness to go for the softer stuff) Feel free to PM with questions :)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Just make sure to go in with X number of dollars of cash in your hand and your debit card at home. That place is evil i tell you EVIL! I swear it comes up with things for me to tinker away my time on that i didn't even know existed (the time or the things)

If its made out of some kind of fabric (mesh/plastic/ripstop/fleece/whatever), this place has not only the fabric but likely the pattern too.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"