AquaSeal good for quick fix BAD for seal replacement

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

AquaSeal good for quick fix BAD for seal replacement

Post by Norris »

So I have gone the route of G-Dive G-Glue Contact Adhesive, 4oz Can w/Applicator and a heat gun for future seal replacement and am sad to say that in my n00b days of seal replacement I considered cotol and aquaseal a great idea.
For any newer diver thinking of replacing their own seals this is NOT a good idea so please pursue ideas from others with more experience.

This brings me to my question. I have replaced a couple neck seals using the formula above and now need to clean this all up and go to the G-Glue. I am adamant about getting all this Aqua crap off the suit and do it correct (DIC). So has anyone had to do this? What did you use?

I have been reading around and am hearing MEK Acetone (used VERY carefully) works, and in addition I have read a little about just using Cotol, or toluene.

If anyone has also been challenged with getting aquaseal off please reply.

:popcorn:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: AquaSeal good for quick fix BAD for seal replacement

Post by fmerkel »

I think the stuff is inert once set. Not sure anything will remove it. Therein lies the problem at this stage. Cotol 'kicks' it but won't remove it. Not sure about MEK but I don't think so.
Maybe careful abrasion with a dremel drum sander tool? Dangerous to the suit though.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I've heard it has to be abrasively removed. Had that problem with my Whites Fusion that was aquaseal repaired and thats what they had to do. Dunno how they did it, but thats what they did.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Jeff Pack wrote:I've heard it has to be abrasively removed. Had that problem with my Whites Fusion that was aquaseal repaired and thats what they had to do. Dunno how they did it, but thats what they did.
Yeah the reading I have been doing has been kinda pointing to that. I will keep drilling and regardless that shit is coming OFF!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You can get various sanding drums from harbor freight.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Thanks Richard I was already shopping for something for my dremel
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

If you have an air tool (die grinder) they have some tapered sanding drums that are pretty effective on stuff like this. I think they come in a 10 or 12 pack with 6x 60 grits and 6x 80grits. The wider surface area helps avoid grinding through a patch of fabric.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I appreciate it
CAPTNJACK - 2012**