Here we go!

Re-learning buoyancy skills or have questions (or answers) about diving a CCR or SCR? The No Bubble Zone is the place to discuss rebreather diving.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Yes, But what are the realistic numbers of actual neck oring and burst disk failures while the pressure is dropping?

I've been involved in the Scuba business for nearly 20 years and we have somewhere around 80 tanks sitting around the shop in various states of being full or filled plus probably 30 customers tanks at any given time. In that time, I've never seen a neck o-ring blow out sitting in the shop. I've seen them extrude when filling but not while idle or being drained. I've probably seen or found the result of 2-3 burst disks randomly letting go.

So IMO the odds of one of those 2 things happening in the exact hour that you are out diving are insignificant. There are many things that can cause a Boom, my only real one was my BC inflator nipple backed out until the o-ring extruded and caused a steady leak.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:Gues it depends on the source of the leak eh. Neck o-ring or burst disk is not the same as a HP seat reg failure.

You're right, they're totally different. That seems kind of stunningly obvious, actually. The training teaches you to diagnose each one, and how to deal with it appropriately, and safely. And, in my opinion, that of my instructor, the manufacturer, and as far as I can tell, the industry and community as a whole, a bubble gun throwing bubbles out one side or the other of a diver doing one of these drills would be kind of pointless. Want to go for a dive some time? I'd be happy to show you how it works.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Actually an air gun is very common in OC Tech and Cave training. Not every instructor uses one, but lots do. I just wondered why it wasn't used in RB training. Well at least it wasn't in yours, maybe its one of those instructor discretion things.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

CaptnJack wrote:Actually an air gun is very common in OC Tech and Cave training. Not every instructor uses one, but lots do. I just wondered why it wasn't used in RB training. Well at least it wasn't in yours, maybe its one of those instructor discretion things.
None of my OC tech instructors used one and I had 3 different Instructors. Of course being hard of hearing and with all the general OC bubble noise, I probably couldn't hear it anyway.

Put me on CC and I can hear an OC diver at 200+ feet away.

DM
Last edited by Dmitchell on Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Mitchell
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:Actually an air gun is very common in OC Tech and Cave training. Not every instructor uses one, but lots do. I just wondered why it wasn't used in RB training. Well at least it wasn't in yours, maybe its one of those instructor discretion things.

Never heard of it. I think we explained why it would be pointless during a boom drill pretty well, though- don't you? I can see why it might be an interesting tool for OC training, but it doesn't really apply to what we're doing.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
johnbenway
Getting To Know Folks

Post by johnbenway »

Nailer99 wrote:

Never heard of it. I think we explained why it would be pointless during a boom drill pretty well, though- don't you? I can see why it might be an interesting tool for OC training, but it doesn't really apply to what we're doing.
The reason you never heard of it is because it is primarily a GUE/DIR practice made popular by AG.
I wouldn't even bother trying to explain RB training or procedures to someone who obviously has little or no knowledge / experience with them .
" I think you'll be surprised what you can learn stepping outside your strict DIR box for awhile". captnjack
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Actually I think it started as an NACD tool popularized by David Rhea (for OC cave training) in North FL.

I have heard of OC tech instructors using flash cards (NAUI Tech I think). e.g. "Left Post" and thought that sounded rather strange. And I know people who have done classes that way and thought it was actually harder to understand instructors who don't use air guns to simulate leaks - they point and tap and stuff like that.

In this case it sounds like you're shutting down dil and O2 valves anyway.
johnbenway
Getting To Know Folks

Post by johnbenway »

CaptnJack wrote:Actually I think it started as an NACD tool popularized by David Rhea (for OC cave training) in North FL.

I have heard of OC tech instructors using flash cards (NAUI Tech I think). e.g. "Left Post" and thought that sounded rather strange. And I know people who have done classes that way and thought it was actually harder to understand instructors who don't use air guns to simulate leaks - they point and tap and stuff like that.

In this case it sounds like you're shutting down dil and O2 valves anyway.

I never said AG started the practice. But thanks for the history lesson.
" I think you'll be surprised what you can learn stepping outside your strict DIR box for awhile". captnjack
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Congrats on the Class guys
:prayer: :prayer: :partyman: :partyman:
Sounds like you got a lot ot of it

I had the pleasure of meeting mel a while back she had a class ( I think ) At Sund Rock whn jay and I were diving there

She took the time to answer all our questions and let us check out her CC rig

Still no pictures though I noticed

come on give us a peek PLeeeeezzzz

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
pdxDiver
Just Settling In

Some Pics from the class

Post by pdxDiver »

Nailer99

Calvin:

The Class:
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Please stop talking about this. #-o Please!?!?!?!?!? I think I may be thinking I WANT one of those things!!! :crybaby:

Oh well. Maybe later. :dontknow: Thanks for the post Josh and Calvin, Welcome to the Board Ben. And thanks for posting some photos Pdx! I'm looking forward to the full story!
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Thanks PDX for posting the pics
like everyone else i am looking forward to reading the report nailer is working on

looks like you guys got some pretty fancy rigs there

I am so jealous I would love to try a re breather but it is just above my pay grade yet Some day

and sorry Calvin and Nailer I did not mean to drool all over your new Dive Toys but i could not help my self

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I definitely was overloaded by the class, but now I'm itchin to go diving again! I think I just might go with Ken and Chef tomorrow. I've gotta head to Home Depot first and get a few odds and ends.

Thanks for the pics pdxdiver!