You know you're a scuba geek when...

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

So, tonight I was rebuilding some regs in preparation for my upcoming dive trip (Antarctica)... the usual stuff - doing the overhauls that need to be done every so often that I'd probably put off a bit too long.

Anyway, I have a Saeco espresso machine in my kitchen that I like an awful lot, but it'd been really irritating me lately. The steam wand was kind of loose, and it was dripping/leaking a bit when brewing shots. Since I had a bunch of tools out on the kitchen counter anyway, I cracked open the espresso machine to see if I could find where it was having problems. Turns out there's two sets of o-ring seals inside on the valve from the boiler to the head. One is for the wand (a dynamic seal so you can pivot it) and the other was for the steam on/off dial (threaded shaft which makes kind of a plunger valve to route the steam to either the wand or the head.)

I found a couple of suitable o-rings in my stash of viton rings in my reg toolbox and changed out the two seals, which, much like the reg seals in the second stage that I rebuilt tonight, were looking kind of grungy. I also gave the metal parts a quick dip in the vinegar bath of my ultrasonic to clean off the corrosion before I put the thing back together.

While I was working, Heidi came by and asked what I was doing... I answered, "I'm making the coffee maker nitrox compatible..." #-o

I _really_ am looking forward to getting in the water next week...obviously I've been on the surface too long.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Re: You know you're a scuba geek when...

Post by Pez7378 »

LOL! Thats a good story Camerone!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

That's extremely funny! I've used other pieces of scuba gear for non-diving purposes (mostly backup lights) but this takes the cake!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Dude! Funny as hell, but warn a brother! I was drinking coffee when I got to the NO2 remark. Fuh-knee!

D(B)
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

It's not embarassing to be laughing at the keyboard, when there's no one around, right?

Funny story =D>
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

GREAT story! =D>
camerone wrote:So, tonight I was rebuilding some regs in preparation for my upcoming dive trip (Antarctica)... the usual stuff -
Not even at NWDC does this sentence get by - "usual stuff"?!? :smt119 Wow... I love this place! :fish:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Post by BigFameOne »

Very cool, I am with Lynne on the bakup lights getting occasional use (although since I don't have a primary light, my backups aren't really backing anything up) but Camerone you have taken it up a notch. Great story. Kudos.
"Cave is cave. Tech is when you can't get out when you want to."-LCF
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

I think you surpassed being a scuba geek when you figured out how to take a car seat warmer and convert it into a dry suit heater (with a few parts from the former Soviet Union army). You are now a super-duper scuba geek! :notworthy:

I hope you and Heidi have a great time in Antarctica! Post some pictures when you get a chance.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

LOL...nice. I had a similar experience at work this past year.

I worked in a coffee shop for nearly 5 years, and we had these travel mugs with O-rings that were flat instead of round, and prone to leaking at the seal. Of course, when I tried to explain it to my co-workers they all thought I was crazy. It wasn't even that technical. I thought everyone knew about o-ring dynamics... :dontknow:

I'll bet Antarctica is a fantastic dive though! Have fun!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

You are looking fwd to a dive trip in Antarctica! :smt119 =D>
Take lots of pictures!
And get me the phone # to the local dive operation down there :evil4:

I just put Antarctica on my "Bucket List" :toimonster:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
BigFameOne
Compulsive Diver

Post by BigFameOne »

You know you are a dive geek....

...when you chuckle at the gas station and your friends can't figure out why.

"Cave is cave. Tech is when you can't get out when you want to."-LCF
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

camerone wrote:So, tonight I was rebuilding some regs in preparation for my upcoming dive trip (Antarctica)... the usual stuff - doing the overhauls that need to be done every so often that I'd probably put off a bit too long.

Anyway, I have a Saeco espresso machine in my kitchen that I like an awful lot, but it'd been really irritating me lately. The steam wand was kind of loose, and it was dripping/leaking a bit when brewing shots. Since I had a bunch of tools out on the kitchen counter anyway, I cracked open the espresso machine to see if I could find where it was having problems. Turns out there's two sets of o-ring seals inside on the valve from the boiler to the head. One is for the wand (a dynamic seal so you can pivot it) and the other was for the steam on/off dial (threaded shaft which makes kind of a plunger valve to route the steam to either the wand or the head.)

I found a couple of suitable o-rings in my stash of viton rings in my reg toolbox and changed out the two seals, which, much like the reg seals in the second stage that I rebuilt tonight, were looking kind of grungy. I also gave the metal parts a quick dip in the vinegar bath of my ultrasonic to clean off the corrosion before I put the thing back together.

While I was working, Heidi came by and asked what I was doing... I answered, "I'm making the coffee maker nitrox compatible..." #-o

I _really_ am looking forward to getting in the water next week...obviously I've been on the surface too long.

What a great idea. My Starbuck's expresso is starting to leak from the steam port and now I know how to fix it. \:D/

I have used scuba tanks to weight down wood that I have glued up. Or for weight in the rig during times of snow, and even once to roll vinyl flooring when I forgot my floor roller.

Air tanks to fill blow up toy's. Old scuba mask as a dust mask. I even used my tank and reg one time when I was bug bombing my home. It is so big it takes about 10 of those cans and I did not want to breath any of that crap.

I
Charles
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Hey Cam if you are up for a dive let me know. I fell very much the last 2 months have been the least I have been in the water in 2 years. I just built a tank tumbler and served all my tanks and a few of my friends and just started to rebuild the regs. That is between working on the computer studying California business law and trying to make some sense of the Markets.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

loanwolf wrote:Hey Cam if you are up for a dive let me know. I fell very much the last 2 months have been the least I have been in the water in 2 years. I just built a tank tumbler and served all my tanks and a few of my friends and just started to rebuild the regs. That is between working on the computer studying California business law and trying to make some sense of the Markets.
Ooh. I may have to take you up on the tumbler. Those ugly pink doubles I was using to get some O/C practice this winter are in need of a hydro when I get back, and that always means a quick spin to get rid of the surface rust when they come back. :)

I'll give you a PM when I get back to Seattle and we'll go out for a scooter run...
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...