Red Brotula Sightings

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
archaeofish
Aquaphile

Red Brotula Sightings

Post by archaeofish »

A couple of weeks ago I spotted my first Red Brotula at Three Tree and based on its distended belly it looked to be preparing to spawn. Based on what I'd read about this fish it surprised me to find it at a depth of ~75' so I was wondering if this species may move up to shallower depths to spawn? Hart's (1973) description of this fish notes that it is ovoviviparous (retains fertilized eggs inside its body and until they have developed) and that yolked larvae have been reported within specimens taken around Seattle in May. Has anyone tracked Brotula sightings/depths to determine if they are more common at shallow depths during the spring and summer?

Ross
While it's generally acknowledged that wetsuit divers are a shade or two crazier than the rest of us, we're all special idiots for voluntarily diving in dark, cold, water! - scottsax
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Re: Red Brotula Sightings

Post by Greg Jensen »

I think it's unlikely that adult brotulas move around very much. When reading Hart you have to keep in mind that when it was written almost all fish data came from trawls, and crevice-loving fish like brotulas tend to be rarely caught in gear like that, especially in shallow water.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

They do seem to like it dark though. I rarely see them when there's much ambient light. They are more likely to be poking out of some hole at: night, when there's a big bloom, or deep. They hate HIDs for sure.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

CaptnJack wrote:They do seem to like it dark though. I rarely see them when there's much ambient light. They are more likely to be poking out of some hole at: night, when there's a big bloom, or deep. They hate HIDs for sure.
That's for sure! I was so excited to get a pic of one that was half way out of a pipe at Les last night that I inadvertantly shined my light directly on it. That was all it took. It backed about 10' back into the pipe and I had no chance of getting a pic.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hmmm... this definitely arouses my curiousity as to where at TTN it's located. In my experience Red Brotulas are pretty territorial and don't move around much. If one or more has moved in to TTN - Way Cool!

I do understand the OP not talking about location - if indeed that was intentional on their part. TTN isn't exactly overflowing with habitat where a critter can easily get away from unwanted attention, unlike Les Davis. I know that folks started not publicizing the location of certain wolf eels at TTN because they got so much inadvertent and well intentioned (to give divers the benefit of the doubt) diver pressure that they ended up moving.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Kirby
Aquaphile

Post by Kirby »

I saw two Red Brotula yesterday on the pooper pipe in Tacoma, one at the first joint behind the bolts on the South side at 100 ft, the other out at the end of the pipe at 150 ft. There is a colony there in permanent residence, I see them on nearly every dive, often just a glimpse in the crack before my light spooks them. I hesitate to publicize due to "diver pressure" but there are now 4 big Octo under the pipe as well, most visible from the North side at 105 to 125 ft depths.
Except for the whole poop thing, this is a great dive.
Kirby
Hi, My name is Kirby, and I am addicted to Nitrogen Narcosis.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Kirby wrote:Except for the whole poop thing, this is a great dive. Kirby
New sig line! :notworthy:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

could someone post a picture of the fish , anyone shot a pic in the last 3 years ?
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

H20doctor wrote:could someone post a picture of the fish , anyone shot a pic in the last 3 years ?
I found this one at Cove 2 in December of 2008. We'd seen it a number of times in the rocks during night dives, but this was the first time we saw it out. It even posed for a few shots on my dive buddy's hand. This pic was featured in the new Andy Lamb Coast Fishes of the Pacific Northwest that has just been published.

Dan Hershman :smt024
archaeofish
Aquaphile

Post by archaeofish »

Congratulations on publishing your photo! When H20Doc asked about a photo I found yours on your photo stream and thought it was the best photo of a Red Brotula I had seen. I look forward to seeing it in Andy's new book.

Ross
While it's generally acknowledged that wetsuit divers are a shade or two crazier than the rest of us, we're all special idiots for voluntarily diving in dark, cold, water! - scottsax
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

Wow, what a pretty fish! :)
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

archaeofish wrote:Congratulations on publishing your photo! When H20Doc asked about a photo I found yours on your photo stream and thought it was the best photo of a Red Brotula I had seen. I look forward to seeing it in Andy's new book.

Ross
Thanks!
It really was a once in a lifetime find I think. The right time with the right lens on my camera. Doesn't happen that often!

Dan
Dan Hershman :smt024