appalachicola river treasures

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

appalachicola river treasures

Post by Dusty2 »

Been talking to one of my new light customers from Florida and learning about a whole other reason for diving.

He dives for fossils and artifacts in the appalachicola river near panama city. He sez the viz is a consistant 2' with a good light and there is always current but he finds awesome stuff. He has found Mastodon tusks and teeth, bar and cannon shot, petrified wood and the common shark teeth mixed in with whale teeth, arrow heads, civil war artifacts and tons more stuff.
Here are a few pix he sent of some of his finds.
DSC02469sm.JPG
whale tooth
fossils 2 006sm.JPG
Mastodon tooth and tusk
mastadonsm.JPG
Bar shot and cannon balls
P5020068sm.JPG
Assorted teeth
P5020068 sm.JPG
petrified wood
wood 007-1sm.JPG
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: appalachicola river treasures

Post by Tom Nic »

Very cool!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

That is very cool!!! I've a feeling the rivers there move a tad slower than ours though... and a different strata of soil types as well... But that's really cool though and it would be a blast to give it a shot, you never know what you'll find...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Cool stuff. I've never found anything of the like in Redondo River :(
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Alexitt wrote:That is very cool!!! I've a feeling the rivers there move a tad slower than ours though... and a different strata of soil types as well... But that's really cool though and it would be a blast to give it a shot, you never know what you'll find...
Got a few horse and rhino teeth & bones from the rivers of Nebraska, it was fun finding things like this!

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

diverden wrote:Cool stuff. I've never found anything of the like in Redondo River :(
I think you have to dig in said river... :)

And with the tide predictions for tomorrow's Club Dive there might actually be that opportunity! :eek:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Good chance the redondo river will be running tomorrow with an almost 12 foot exchange starting about 9am!
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

In the south there are people who dive and find many similar things, but its pretty crazy as there is no viz and there are tons of gators in the rivers people dive in to find that stuff... I think I will just stick it out with my chances of only seeing a 6 gill someday versus gators.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

That's just cool.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."