Blake Island Reef

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
dphershman
Aquanaut

Blake Island Reef

Post by dphershman »

Yesterday I did a couple of nice dives from 'The Aluminator' with folks from Olympia UWS. We visited Blake Island Reef first. There was easily 30-40 feet of viz. There's a nice gentle slope that leads downwards, with a really interesting debris field around 60 feet. Lots of concrete blocks, broken slabs and what appears to be bridge pontoons.

Marty peers through a concrete portal

Concrete rubble at Blake Island Reef

For a second dive we headed back across the Sound to do the West Seattle Reef. Viz was almost as nice as Blake Island Reef. I put on my macro to get some closeups to round off the day.

Painted Greenling Oxylebius pictus

Leopard Nudibranch Diaulula sandiegensis

looks like there'll be good conditions going forward into fall this year!

Dan
Dan Hershman :smt024
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Blake Island Reef

Post by Tom Nic »

Great pics and stellar viz! It is so cool when you can actually 'see' so much of a dive site.

Thanks for sharing!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Love the painted greenling shot! They're such pretty fish.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nice pics, its been a looong time since I was out there. The only dive where I've been "hooked" by an old fishing lure hanging on the wreckage...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

CaptnJack wrote:Nice pics, its been a looong time since I was out there. The only dive where I've been "hooked" by an old fishing lure hanging on the wreckage...
This is a popular fishing site. There is a stupid amount of monofilament all over the place.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Great pics Dan!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Someone needs to invent a monofilament eater for divers. I always want to get rid of that stuff but it ain't easy! I hate that stuff! :angry:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dusty2 wrote:Someone needs to invent a monofilament eater for divers. I always want to get rid of that stuff but it ain't easy! I hate that stuff! :angry:
Maybe you, Ben, and Jake can collaborate on a handheld woodchipper like device which winds up or grinds up monofilament? The responsible thing would be to wind it up and clip it off close. I prefer a handheld device more Fargo-esque though...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

CaptnJack wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:Someone needs to invent a monofilament eater for divers. I always want to get rid of that stuff but it ain't easy! I hate that stuff! :angry:
Maybe you, Ben, and Jake can collaborate on a handheld woodchipper like device which winds up or grinds up monofilament? The responsible thing would be to wind it up and clip it off close. I prefer a handheld device more Fargo-esque though...
:idea:
This could be someones big invention!
I vote Dusty! He has the killer Lathe, I'll talk to a few engineers at work here to come up with the initial drawings and we'll go from there!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: