In Seattle for the month

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

In Seattle for the month

Post by Sockmonkey »

Hey all,

I'm in Seattle for a month or so from Boston and I've got my dive gear with me.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a charter boat for this coming weekend... or maybe a fun shore dive? I'm looking for something that leaves from in and around the city if possible. A local friend has also expressed interest in getting wet as well. We were thinking about Edmonds. Long surface swims and shallow waters made us reconsider and maybe think about a boat trip. Either way we're looking for something chill and fun.

Also... does anyone know of a good LDS to get a pair of spring heel straps?

Thanks much,

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Re: In Seattle for the month

Post by Pez7378 »

Hey Eric! Welcome to Seattle for a Month :supz: Can't help with any Boat Dives this weekend, there may be some next weekend or closer to the end of the month. Most of the Charters around here leave from either way up North (San Juans via Anacortes), or somewhere down south. You could certainly check the websites though and see if there is something avialable:

http://www.banditocharters.com
http://www.pacadventure.com
http://www.portholedivecharters.com
http://www.naknekcharters.com
http://www.lujacsquest.com

There is some great shore diving closer to the city at Alki. There is usually some good stuff to see there, and always some friendly divers willing to show you around.

For spring straps, contact Matt or Dan at NWSD http://www.nwsportsdivers.com, Underwater Sports or Lighthouse Diving. Closer to the city there is also Fifth Dimension near Alki, or Discount Divers Supply.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Eric,
Ther are a couple of shore dives in the Seattle area. Have you considdered Alki, Cove2? Edmonds is great if you go at high tide. You will see some houge fish. I would offer to show you a cool dive site like Three Tree N. But I work on weekends.
If you want to hook up for a Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday night dive, send me a PM. If I'm not working O.T. we can get a Dive or two in somewhere.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

Welcome to Seattle for the month. Wish I had known where to dive in Boston when I was there two years ago..

Reference charter boats, Bandito Charters (Tacoma) might have openings for Saturday or Sunday morning.

Jackieg
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Hey All,

Pez: Thanks for the links... and the LDS recommend. The stupid straps I bought before I left are way too small for me.

Bassman: I'll send you a PM over the weekend about night diving during the week. It might also motivate me to buy a light ;)

Jackieg: If you're ever back in Boston let me know and I'll point you to a couple great shore dives north of the city. There are a couple charter boats I can recommend although they mostly cater to the tech/dir types. It's wreck central up there for sure. And thanks for the Bandito recommend.

I'm guessing that its best to hit cove2 at Alki pretty early before the crowds show up?

And Edmonds... Where to go at high tide? From what I've read it seems there are many options.

Thanks again everyone,

-Eric

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Edmunds is a verry shallow dive and if you happen to hit it at a low tide, like I did on a first dive there, you will have to walk for a long time to get above your knees and then you might get to 20 feet during your dive. At a high tide or even normal tide I'm not sure of the total depth but it was a much more enjoyable dive then.

Please take in to account I've only dove there a few times. Once at a low tide and another time at a high tide.

It was two completely different dives.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

OOC, what's the beef with the shallow-ness (my apologies to my 9th grade English teacher) of Edmonds? Granted, you see different critters in 20 fsw than you do in 70 or 90 fsw, but not THAT different. At BHUT, there's a lot of light and you get super long bottom times, so you can play underwater more. With the exception of the times I've been there during large exchanges, I've always gotten cold before coming close to running out of air.

Or are you worried about corking that shallow? :smt064
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

I personally have no beef with shallow-osity. Some of my most mind blowing experiences underwater have been totally shallow.

However I'm pretty interested in dialing in my buoyancy the next time out and would prefer to be in 30+ feet or so... and wouldn't be all that psyched to have a long kick-out or walk to get there. Plus there's always the lazy factor to contend with ;)

Thanks much,

-Eric
scottsax wrote:OOC, what's the beef with the shallow-ness (my apologies to my 9th grade English teacher) of Edmonds? Granted, you see different critters in 20 fsw than you do in 70 or 90 fsw, but not THAT different. At BHUT, there's a lot of light and you get super long bottom times, so you can play underwater more. With the exception of the times I've been there during large exchanges, I've always gotten cold before coming close to running out of air.

Or are you worried about corking that shallow? :smt064

Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Sockmonkey,
Welcome to Seattle!

One of our dive buddies recently just moved back to Boston. When you get home, if you want to dive with someone who likes to dive every day, let me know.

If you make it down to the south end, let me know if you need anything.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

Hi sockmonkey, What days did you want to go diving. 4 of us are heading out to Three Tree tonight in you would like to join us. I'm not sure where we're heading next weekend but let me know if you are still interested in getting in the water.

Here's a link to Three Tree: http://www.theperfectdive.com/DEF-Site.asp?sID=6
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

All,

A friend and I made it up to Edmonds Sunday morning. Wow that place is a real national treasure. Many thanks to the guy that walked us out onto the jetty to give us a little tour. Dan maybe? He said he was an underwater photography dude. Whoever he was he proved once again how friendly NW divers area. Even if there wasn't a ton of stuff to see it was at least warmer and more clear than I'm used to ;)

Pinkpadigal: I'll PM you with my email address. Feel free to give it to your friend in Boston. I'd be psyched for more dive friends in the area. Outside of the DIR folks I try to hang out with it isn't a really friendly place to dive.

Chevayea: I didn't read this site over the weekend or I might have taken you up on Three Tree. I didn't bring a light with me so I may need to pick one up. LOL. Let me know where you're headed this coming weekend and if you wouldn't mind a tag-along.

Thanks much to everyone.

-Eric