looking to upgrade my camera setup

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

looking to upgrade my camera setup

Post by Grateful Diver »

I'm thinking to finally retire the Casio and move to something with a bit more capability. My wish list would include:

- something I can take to 200 feet
- something that will accept wet lenses ... in particular, a WAL
- at least one, and possibly two decent strobes
- something that doesn't take a Master's Degree in Geekology to figure out how to use

Ideally it would be portable enough to fit inside a moderate-sized Pelican case (for travel)
Budget ... for now ... would be around $1500

For the photographers on the board ... if this were your wish list, what would YOU be looking at?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: looking to upgrade my camera setup

Post by cardiver »

The Nikon Coolpix P6000 looks like a sweet camera, Bob. There is a spendy Ike housing for it and a really stout looking Fantasea housing that can be had for around 200.00. You'd have 700.00 left for another strobe or two.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Scott G
Aquaphile

Post by Scott G »

Hi Bob,

I have a G9 in an Ikelite case... it fits all the bills, aside from solving the strobe price issue you bring up.

it's good to 200', accepts wet lenses (I have a WAL) and might look into getting a macro... and i would not do well at any level of Geekology.

As said on the other thread, they've moved to a G10... probably about the same.

I've never had any vingetting problem, however i'm not using the smaller canon case.

Looks like (from your photo's) you already have some advanced photography sense, in that way, i think that G series would be good, it seems designed very straightforward as not to get in the way of what you're doing.

Good luck... Always exciting times purchasing a new camera... the sweaty palms, the head full of mundane features, statistics and reviews... :)

Scott

ps. I'd also look if they make housings for those little Leica's, the camera's themselves aren't very expensive anymore.
Grateful Diver wrote:I'm thinking to finally retire the Casio and move to something with a bit more capability. My wish list would include:

- something that doesn't take a Master's Degree in Geekology to figure out how to use

Ideally it would be portable enough to fit inside a moderate-sized Pelican case (for travel)

For the photographers on the board ... if this were your wish list, what would YOU be looking at?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

What strobe are you using, Scott? I went to your Smug Mug site and your pics are amazing!
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Scott G
Aquaphile

Post by Scott G »

cardiver wrote:What strobe are you using, Scott? I went to your Smug Mug site and your pics are amazing!
Well Thanks! and certainly, right back at you... How are those casio's? I've never used one, but you've certainly got some great results from them...

I have a single Ikelite DS-125, I had some money burning a hole in my pocket a couple years ago and spent it...

I used to have a Sunpak G-flash, which, in truth was just as good, just a little more to think about being fired as a slave rather than TTL

I prefer to use neither, and if i hadn't spent so much dough on the Ikelite probably would leave the strobe home and figure out how to dive with a tripod.

Scott
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Scott G wrote:
I have a single Ikelite DS-125, I had some money burning a hole in my pocket a couple years ago and spent it...

I used to have a Sunpak G-flash, which, in truth was just as good, just a little more to think about being fired as a slave rather than TTL

I prefer to use neither, and if i hadn't spent so much dough on the Ikelite probably would leave the strobe home and figure out how to dive with a tripod.

Scott
I have to agree on the prefer not to use the strobe issue. I do allot of my stuff with the strobe turned off. In fact lately I have been using mainly just the camera flash/diffuser with my focus light and sometimes I even turn off the focus light or direct it away from the subject if they are white.

The wide angle issue would seem to point toward one of two options. (Remembering I'm a Canon person) The G10 has a 28mm wide angle as it's base so trying to add a wide angle doesn't work well. The G-9 has a 35mm wide base. If you need the depth over 130fsw then you have to go with a ikelite case. A very spendy option but good insurance. As far as I know no one else makes one tested to that depth.

My preference would be the G-10 but the camera is going to be somewhere around $400 give or take and the cheapest I could find on the housing is $618 so that only leaves 500 or less for strobes if you are going to stay with that budget number. Going with the G-9 will drop the price of the Camera a little and reduce the case by about $120 so give you a little more money to play with but it is quite a trade off feature wise. Either camera will work and both are as simple or as complex as you want them to be. Anywhere from point and shoot to full manual and they both are capable of using a slave strobe or a TTL. TTL can be a big advantage with those closeups and macros and does make your strobes easyer to manage.
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

I'd get the SeaLife DC1000 (available in March) with either their two digital strobes, or get a second matching strobe for whichever one you have now, and use Ultralight strobe arms. It will all fit in a Pelican 1500 case, and waterproof down to 200 fsw. With deals and not the case, it'll be close to fitting within your budget. Good luck Bob!!
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

How about a used SLR setup? I have a Nikon D70 and Ikelite housing that I would be happy to sell to a new home. I moved to a D-300 a little over a year ago, and will sell at a good price. I also have an Ikelite DS-50 strobe that I never use anymore. All items are in great condition. You'll need to buy a lens or two, but you could come in well under $1500. You'll be much happy than with any Point & Shot camera!

Check out many photos I took with this setup at : http://www.pbase.com/davehicks

Dave

Grateful Diver wrote:I'm thinking to finally retire the Casio and move to something with a bit more capability. My wish list would include:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Dave
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Have you talked to Berkeley White at Backscatter? He could probably point you in the right direction.... I'll see if I can dig up his email address and I'll pm it to you...
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

scottsax wrote:Have you talked to Berkeley White at Backscatter? He could probably point you in the right direction.... I'll see if I can dig up his email address and I'll pm it to you...
i believe bob did talk to those folks...

but either way, his new rig is already en route to him, if not in his possession already....
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

spatman wrote:
scottsax wrote:Have you talked to Berkeley White at Backscatter? He could probably point you in the right direction.... I'll see if I can dig up his email address and I'll pm it to you...
i believe bob did talk to those folks...

but either way, his new rig is already en route to him, if not in his possession already....
Whoops....

Well, I've been off the board for a week....
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

scottsax wrote:Well, I've been off the board for a week....
you lucky booger...
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

So, GD, what did you end up settling on?
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Biodiversity_Guy wrote:So, GD, what did you end up settling on?
I think that GD got the G10 with the uber-cool, aluminum housing.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Canon G10 camera
Fisheye FIX housing
Fisheye FIX 15mm wide angle port
Sea & Sea YS110a strobe
dual Ultralite strobe arms and camera tray
(I already have a Sea & Sea YS25 strobe I'll slave on the left side)

Total cost of the setup was a bit more than budgeted ... about $3,300.

... Bob
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/