Continous Web or Shoulder clips?

General topics about technical diving.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Continous Web or Shoulder clips?

Post by BASSMAN »

Looking into future BP and wing purchase.

I would like to hear Pros and cons for the continous webbing on the BP

Please? :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Continous Web or Shoulder clips?

Post by LCF »

The pros are that it makes the harness a little easier to get into and out of.

From watching people setting up backplates, though, it seems to me that it's kind of difficult to find a good place to put the QRs. If you put them down against the backplate, where they don't interfere with anything, they're really hard to reach and use. (This is what Doug Steding did at the beginning, and he gave them up because he couldn't get to them.) If you put them higher, they start to get in the way of the D-rings. Above the d-rings, they're sitting on your collarbone or shoulder. Having QRs in the harness can also make it difficult to adjust, if you use the rig for warm water trips.

And finally, they really aren't needed. A properly adjusted harness is not a problem to get in and out of, and if you are worried about the safety aspects, Sounder got through Jake's harness in about ten seconds with his knife.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Yup, I had a DSS comfort harness for a few dives. Sold it.

I didn't like it because it was actually more of a pain to adjust (see Lynne's comments above). Also, it seemed like it wouldn't bring the backplate up far enough on my back--so my tank would ride low and things were a bit more sloppy.

I like the hog setup because it is (a) simple; (b) comfortable and well-fitting once adjusted properly (which takes a few dives and a bit of attention to how it is working) and, not to be discounted in today's economic climate, (c) cheap.

I dive singles and doubles, and spend more time these days getting out of my harness in the water because I'm diving almost exclusively off my small RIB. getting in and out of the harness on a small boat is a non-issue, meaning you'll get used to it with a few dives. In fact, getting out of my harness has become so second nature, I found myself with the harness half-way off on the surface next to my boat the other day. Only problem was I hadn't bothered to clip the rig off yet . . . which made for a few interesting moments of contorting myself to make sure it didn't sink (I keep the wing partially deflated when getting out of it--makes life easier). Ooops.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LCF wrote: Having QRs in the harness can also make it difficult to adjust, if you use the rig for warm water trips.
Yeah its actually easier to just have a 2nd plate vs. clips or buckles. My travel plate happens to be AL to save baggage weight while I definitely use a SS around here.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice replies from the Continuous Web users, and great points.

Anybody at all use clips on one strap or more that can give their experience / perspective?
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Tom Nic wrote:Nice replies from the Continuous Web users, and great points.

Anybody at all use clips on one strap or more that can give their experience / perspective?
I started with the DSS pro-harness thingy and switched to continuous webbing. My reason for switching was that the clips didn't really help me get in or out, and the webbing used with such clips isn't resin-infused which means it's not rigid at all. This makes things more difficult as "floppy" webbing isn't as easy to use as "rigid" webbing is.

Another reason I like the continuous webbing is that it's not going to break. If I smash a buckle or clip, my day is potentially over. That's a) not going to happen on my continuous harness and, if it were to break, I can quickly re-string a brand spankin' new one with the lengh of extra web in my SAD kit. Same for the d-rings... if, on the off chance, something were to break, I would quickly replace it and go diving.

I have heard of people with shoulder injuries/scar-tissue which restricts motion putting a single cam-buckle on one side of the harness to aid in getting in or out. The obvious concern is simply breakage or having it come undone at an inopportune moment.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Having had plastic quick releases break on my old BC's.. for me I stay away from them in general. I'm pretty tough on my gear, often careless, and making sure I didn't crush snap break a plastic clippy thing isn't an option for me. I don't think I worry about stuff breaking at depth... more so in and around my car. Like the time I placed my tanks on my SPG and cracked it.

With that said I know a couple hardcore tech divers on the east coast that swear by the OMS comfort harness.

I sometimes experience some back pain twisting to get in and out of my hog harness... mostly due to the fact that I'm too tall to place my rig anywhere high enough to be comfortable (I knelt on the ground once to rest my doubles on CaseyB's open trunk) and there are fleeting moments when I envision myself with quick releases one day when I'm a little older and less wise.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

BASSMAN wrote:Looking into future BP and wing purchase.

I would like to hear Pros and cons for the continous webbing on the BP

Please? :smt064
This is a lot like asking Cardiver.............Ford, or Chevy?

:angelblue:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Not sure if someone mentioned this already or not, and I've never done it myself but it sounds like a great compromise. Just make the webbing longer on one side, but still continuous, then run a buckle that's on the continuous webbing so that it clips under your arm (close to the BP). That way, you have BOTH continuous webbing AND the ability to unclip for easier donning of your rig.
:partydance:
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Tangfish wrote:Not sure if someone mentioned this already or not, and I've never done it myself but it sounds like a great compromise. Just make the webbing longer on one side, but still continuous, then run a buckle that's on the continuous webbing so that it clips under your arm (close to the BP). That way, you have BOTH continuous webbing AND the ability to unclip for easier donning of your rig.
2nd this sort of - I have a SS weight belt buckle about mid ribs on the left side (personal pref). My web is cut there and the buckle faces up to grab web about 4-5" below the d-ring.

Works great, doesn't interfere with anything and there is no plastic to break. I've had at least 2-80's and a 40' hanging off that side at once without any problem. In-fact if you think about it, the deco bottles don't put any strain on that area at all. It's when you are out of the water and upright without the deco bottles that there is a strain there and even then it's not much.

I'll post a pic tonight if I get a chance.

DM
Dave Mitchell
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sounder wrote:I can quickly re-string a brand spankin' new one with the lengh of extra web in my SAD kit. Same for the d-rings... if, on the off chance, something were to break, I would quickly replace it and go diving.
What exactly are you doing which requires field replacing your webbing or D-rings???

I have broken most every piece of dive gear I own, including bolts (bent), HIDs (flooded), bungies (overstretched), bolt snaps (bent- gate wouldn't work + springs), snap ties offs (abrasion), SS buckles (sat tanks on it, bent it back into shape), spring straps (end of spring), mask straps (even neoprene ones) etc.etc.

But I ain't ever replacing webbing or d-rings.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:What exactly are you doing which requires field replacing your webbing or D-rings???
Nothing - I don't see how you could break them! BUT, if I needed to... I could!! :boucegreen:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Sounder wrote: Nothing - I don't see how you could break them! BUT, if I needed to... I could!! :boucegreen:
If you pull out webbing and d-rings from your save-a-dive kit, I'll laugh at you and call you a dork.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

:hah:
dsteding wrote:
If you pull out webbing and d-rings from your save-a-dive kit, I'll laugh at you and call you a dork.
You do that anyway!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

dsteding wrote:
Sounder wrote: Nothing - I don't see how you could break them! BUT, if I needed to... I could!! :boucegreen:
Say what you want about ridiculous save a dive kits, but Joe wasn't laughing when I pulled out an HP spool....
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Say what you want about ridiculous save a dive kits, but Joe wasn't laughing when I pulled out an HP spool....
He wasn't laughing when I pulled out a o-ring for his argon reg either. Hmmm, is there a theme developing here?
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Dmitchell wrote:
Tangfish wrote:Not sure if someone mentioned this already or not, and I've never done it myself but it sounds like a great compromise. Just make the webbing longer on one side, but still continuous, then run a buckle that's on the continuous webbing so that it clips under your arm (close to the BP). That way, you have BOTH continuous webbing AND the ability to unclip for easier donning of your rig.
I'm trying to visualize this without much success...
Dmitchell wrote:I'll post a pic tonight if I get a chance. DM
This would be helpful!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

That's something I was considering, too. I'm gonna redo my webbing one of these days, and I might just rig that up and see if I like it.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

dsteding wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
He wasn't laughing when I pulled out a o-ring for his argon reg either. Hmmm, is there a theme developing here?
Yeah! Joe should take better care of his gear!
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

dsteding wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
If you will recall, good sir, it was Pez who needed the argon o-ring. And your light. And one of my tanks. And my glove liners. Yeah, I'd say there's a theme developing here.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

dsteding wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
Speaking of keeping webbing in a save a dive kit, I think Joe needs to start keeping some in his kit for his argon bottle. He has to change it after every dive :smt064
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Dmitchell wrote:
2nd this sort of - I have a SS weight belt buckle about mid ribs on the left side (personal pref). My web is cut there and the buckle faces up to grab web about 4-5" below the d-ring.

Works great, doesn't interfere with anything and there is no plastic to break. I've had at least 2-80's and a 40' hanging off that side at once without any problem. In-fact if you think about it, the deco bottles don't put any strain on that area at all. It's when you are out of the water and upright without the deco bottles that there is a strain there and even then it's not much.

I'll post a pic tonight if I get a chance.

DM
I'm still waiting for the picture :bounce:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Just finished a class with an instructor who does a lot of dives off the N. Cal coast (and lots of other places) where he is working with boats in swells and recreational divers. He complained about the continuous webbing for OW divers especially where there were swells/waves. He said he wanted at least one side to be able to be loosened so that it made doffing the gear in heavy swells/waves (did I mention he was referring to heavy weather?) much easier. I must say I think he has a valid point FOR DIVING UNDER THOSE CONDITIONS.

Another way I've heard about is to use two D-Rings on one side for a positive lock but easy removal -- and the D-Rings can be used as, uh, D-Rings for clipping off a reg or spare bolt-snap. IF I was diving in heavier conditions than I do, I would seriously consider modifying my gear to this.
kagey747
Avid Diver

Post by kagey747 »

I got a DR deluxe-QD harness, but after being unable to position the QD where it wouldn't dig into my collarbone or offset my d-ring, I took it off. I do like the chest strap, which allows me to make fine adjustments to my harness due to changing undergarment thickness without having to wrestle with adjusting the whole rig. I do like the weight buckle on the side strap idea, though. I will have to try that on my boat-diving rig. Sounds like the way to go.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Peter Guy wrote:Just finished a class with an instructor who does a lot of dives off the N. Cal coast (and lots of other places) where he is working with boats in swells and recreational divers. He complained about the continuous webbing for OW divers especially where there were swells/waves. He said he wanted at least one side to be able to be loosened so that it made doffing the gear in heavy swells/waves (did I mention he was referring to heavy weather?) much easier. I must say I think he has a valid point FOR DIVING UNDER THOSE CONDITIONS.
Having just returned from Antarctica (yeah, still writing up the trip report...posting tonight, maybe, if I get enough of the teaser photos from camera raw into jpgs), we lost an entire set of gear to the depths of King Neptune due to a quick release failing. The gear was being hoisted into a Zodiac and the QR let go, sending the fully loaded tank/plate/regs/etc over the side and to the bottom of 300' of water. Glad it wasn't my gear, although the owner was pretty gracious about it...

I hate QDs to begin with on principle alone, but losing an entire rig due to the failure of one was enough to make me swear off them as unnecessary and even potentially a danger to the diver if it failed in the water...
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...