Six Gills in Seattle?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Scuba Jon
Just Settling In

Six Gills in Seattle?

Post by Scuba Jon »

I have been in a LONG sixgill dry spell - Several years in fact. Is anybody seeing sixgill sharks anywhere and if so, where? The Elliot Bay population has moved on. They have to be somewhere. :banghead:
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Re: Six Gills in Seattle?

Post by sheahanmcculla »

On sunday 2 different people told me they had heard someone seeing one straight off the NOAA dock at Mukilteo. Not sure how deep. I didn't really believe it at 1st but when person #2 told me, I started to wonder.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

This is good to hear. It's been a while. I keep my ears open for sighting reports and it's definitely been a long dry spell. Two years ago there was a while when it seemed like there were weekly sightings being reported. I wonder a lot about what brings them shallow, and when. Is there a developmental stage that brings them within range? Or is it seasonal? Or something else? As I was typing that I had an idea. I just did a google scholar search and there is actually a lot of material on the six-gill. Looks like I've got another homework assignment...
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I want a full report

:smt024

jk, Im intrigued now too. Share good links please.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

In 2007, I saw 3 sixgills, all of them at cove 2.
Since then, nada. To be fair, I was diving cove 2 twice a week, on average, in 2007, and this year, I've been there twice in the last 5 months. But it seems like someone would have posted on this site about it, if they'd seen one.

They seem to move around the Sound quite a bit- they'll be seen at one site or another with regularity, and suddenly- no more. Hornby island (up in B.C.) was a hotspot for them a few years back, but nobody's seen one there for 2 years, now- or so I've heard.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

airsix wrote:This is good to hear. It's been a while. I keep my ears open for sighting reports and it's definitely been a long dry spell. Two years ago there was a while when it seemed like there were weekly sightings being reported. I wonder a lot about what brings them shallow, and when. Is there a developmental stage that brings them within range? Or is it seasonal? Or something else? As I was typing that I had an idea. I just did a google scholar search and there is actually a lot of material on the six-gill. Looks like I've got another homework assignment...
-Ben
Wanna go 6 gill hunting friday? The T-dock is an easy dive. Just gotta get a little deep to look for the 6gills.

Sheahan any more specifics on depth or time of day?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Nwbrewer wrote:
airsix wrote:This is good to hear. It's been a while. I keep my ears open for sighting reports and it's definitely been a long dry spell. Two years ago there was a while when it seemed like there were weekly sightings being reported. I wonder a lot about what brings them shallow, and when. Is there a developmental stage that brings them within range? Or is it seasonal? Or something else? As I was typing that I had an idea. I just did a google scholar search and there is actually a lot of material on the six-gill. Looks like I've got another homework assignment...
-Ben
Wanna go 6 gill hunting friday? The T-dock is an easy dive. Just gotta get a little deep to look for the 6gills.

Something about a misbehaving child being brought down for chum.….O wait wrong story

I am not sure the details, I will ask again Saturday.

Side note: Did you ever figure out what the line from the sign to the suction tube was for? Almost caught 3 students Sat. Should it be distoyed???
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

sheahanmcculla wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
-Ben

Something about a misbehaving child being brought down for chum.….O wait wrong story

Side note: Did you ever figure out what the line from the sign to the suction tube was for? Almost caught 3 students Sat. Should it be distoyed???
I don't think it's doing any good, it tends to catch people quite frequently. (I've been caught at least once on a night dive.) I think it should either come out, or be weighted to the bottom with blocks. But that's just my opinion.

[Disclaimer on]
I in no way encourage or condone anyone to move any line at any divesite without the express permission of those responsible for the site.
[/Disclaimer off]
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

2007 was a good year, 2008 sucked. They are generally more common in summer/late summer so their scarcity right now isn't particularly unusual.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

Nwbrewer wrote:
sheahanmcculla wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
-Ben

I don't think it's doing any good, it tends to catch people quite frequently. (I've been caught at least once on a night dive.) I think it should either come out, or be weighted to the bottom with blocks. But that's just my opinion.

[Disclaimer on]
I in no way encourage or condone anyone to move any line at any divesite without the express permission of those responsible for the site.
[/Disclaimer off]
I talked to a DM about it, it goes to ~85' and is tied off to some bigger line. There isn't anything there except a 10 gallon plastic bottle covered in those thin white scallop like things (what are those anyway)? floating about 6" off the bottom, tied to a chunk of metal. The DM said that the instructor he worked with and other instructors too, used that for training, although I cannot imagine what for? When I dove with him, he tried to use a cement block to pin it down, but the block was not big enough, and you would need to put the rope through the block to get it to stay anyway.

So Wednesday my buddy got caught on it again.

I'm sick of it.
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

smike wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
sheahanmcculla wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
-Ben

[Disclaimer on]
[/Disclaimer off]
I talked to a DM about it, it goes to ~85' and is tied off to some bigger line. There isn't anything there except a 10 gallon plastic bottle covered in those thin white scallop like things (what are those anyway)? floating about 6" off the bottom, tied to a chunk of metal. The DM said that the instructor he worked with and other instructors too, used that for training, although I cannot imagine what for? When I dove with him, he tried to use a cement block to pin it down, but the block was not big enough, and you would need to put the rope through the block to get it to stay anyway.

So Wednesday my buddy got caught on it again.

I'm sick of it.
Ok, I've been cranky all week, you guys are giving me a good excuse to rant, here goes!

[Rant] Why do people at Mukilteo feel the need to "enhance" the site by placing lines, old crappy rowboats, plastic pipe. etc.? What makes them think they can do this? They don't own the site. Would you go put up bird feeders in a public park to "enhance" it? Park an old car with no wheels for your kids to play on? No? Then why is it you feel compelled to do the same underwater?

I've mentioned the geodome before. While I don't care for it, it didn't eally bother me until it started buckling, the lines started coming loose, and it became a safety hazard. The person who placed it there claimed they were going to fix it, to my knowledge, it hasn't happened. If somebody knows him, please let him know that those of us who dive the site would appreciate it if he took care of the "art" that he chose to place there.

Bottom line, please stop putting stuff in the water to be used for training or to enhance a site, ESPECIALLY it it provides a hazard, as the various lines do. It generally just looks like litter.
[Rant off]

I don't expect any body doing the placing to actually care what I think, but it would be nice if they'd stop underwater littering.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote:I don't expect any body doing the placing to actually care what I think, but it would be nice if they'd stop underwater littering.
Wanna put a Pike Place pig out there with me? :partydance:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Since the topic of 'enhancements' has been brought up yet again, why are people so defensive about the big lines at Cove 2 leading to the i-beams?!? Who IS responsible for putting them in? The same peeps who put the line in at the junkyard? No one has ever stepped up in any of our discussions regarding the big line to the i-beams and said "here's the research regarding safety, the approval by the community, etc..." "My group, mr's X, Y, and Z put them in, and if you bring your concerns to us, and a proposal for moving them shallower to the jackstraw pilings, we'll think about it"

Who do I contact? Maybe i'm just way out of the loop, but anyone who knows, please pass the info on!

Same thing with GeoDome... if it's falling apart, get the group responsible for putting in to fix it, or dismantle it! The reason the Edmonds UW park works is constant maintenance, its a boatload of work keeping it all safe and fun!

what is an 'enhancement' anyway? what is it enhancing? unless it's a fishing reef or a shipwreck it's mostly just junk underwater that doesn't belong! I don't go diving to see recognizable household trash underwater. (toilets, old washing machines, batteries, kids toys, computer keyboards, etc...) What ever happened to 'leave only bubbles'?

(i'm not hashing on the edmonds underwater park here, i appreciate the park, they took a sand flat and made something out of it)

Nwbrewer wrote:
[Disclaimer on]
[/Disclaimer off]

Ok, I've been cranky all week, you guys are giving me a good excuse to rant, here goes!

[Rant] Why do people at Mukilteo feel the need to "enhance" the site by placing lines, old crappy rowboats, plastic pipe. etc.? What makes them think they can do this? They don't own the site. Would you go put up bird feeders in a public park to "enhance" it? Park an old car with no wheels for your kids to play on? No? Then why is it you feel compelled to do the same underwater?

I've mentioned the geodome before. While I don't care for it, it didn't eally bother me until it started buckling, the lines started coming loose, and it became a safety hazard. The person who placed it there claimed they were going to fix it, to my knowledge, it hasn't happened. If somebody knows him, please let him know that those of us who dive the site would appreciate it if he took care of the "art" that he chose to place there.

Bottom line, please stop putting stuff in the water to be used for training or to enhance a site, ESPECIALLY it it provides a hazard, as the various lines do. It generally just looks like litter.
[Rant off]

I don't expect any body doing the placing to actually care what I think, but it would be nice if they'd stop underwater littering.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Apparently at this time, there are no Six Gills in Seattle....
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

LOL

:)
----
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

That line needs a proportionally sized arrow yanno :police:
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

You are SO RIGHT!

if one put directionals on it, then it's unsafe and has be changed ;)
CaptnJack wrote:That line needs a proportionally sized arrow yanno :police:
----
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

ljjames wrote:Since the topic of 'enhancements' has been brought up yet again, why are people so defensive about the big lines at Cove 2 leading to the i-beams?!? Who IS responsible for putting them in? The same peeps who put the line in at the junkyard? No one has ever stepped up in any of our discussions regarding the big line to the i-beams and said "here's the research regarding safety, the approval by the community, etc..." "My group, mr's X, Y, and Z put them in, and if you bring your concerns to us, and a proposal for moving them shallower to the jackstraw pilings, we'll think about it"

Who do I contact? Maybe i'm just way out of the loop, but anyone who knows, please pass the info on!
Seems to me that those questions were answered ad nauseam in the "Local Diving Accidents and Incidents" thread. I don't know how Bob could have said it any more clear than this when he responded to you:
Grateful Diver wrote:
ljjames wrote:oh ya, and the "MAIN" problem with cove 2 is it has a big effing line that basically invites people to swim out to essentially 100'.

"oh, well, we're on the line, it will be easy to find our way home (misguided comfort level), and since they put this nice pathway here it must be a "all divers' dive" (same with the 'boundry line' in my opinion)
Since I'm one of the four divers who put that "big effing line" down there, I'll take issue with what you have said.

That "big effing line" was placed down there to REDUCE accidents ... because once the boundary rope went in, divers started using it as a guideline, rather than the fence it was put down there for. And it was creating a lot of safety issues WRT the water taxi and people accidentally blundering into and under the fishing pier.

The reason the boundary rope is down there is because that's the compromise that the people who cared enough to get involved could propose to the City in order to allow the cove to remain open to divers once they decided to put a water taxi in that place.

People, these things didn't just go down because somebody wanted them there ... they serve a PURPOSE. That "big effing line" was put in to draw people away from the boundary rope. And FWIW - before it went in, there were just as many people trying to reach the I-beams ... they just were swimming downslope to 100 feet and searching around for it. And there were just as many people running out of air doing that as there are now.

Let's be real ... the past few OOA's at Cove 2 had NOTHING to do with that "big effing line" ... they occurred while people were diving the boundary rope from Cove 2 to Cove 3 ... or while people were searching for the Monolith in Cove 1 ... or because some poor schmuck with 10 dives was handed an AOW card after some half-assed "instruction" and told they were good to go to 130 feet. Most people run out of gas because their dive training never includes anything remotely resembling gas management.

It's easy to sit on the sidelines and criticize what others are doing to try to make a difference ... and to make these sites safer and more diveable for everybody. Been watching a bunch of self-important divers do that for years now.

Get involved ... make a contribution ... at least make an effort to find out WHY these lines were placed where they were ... then maybe your criticism will be worth listening to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
There were, in addition, several other responses in that thread specifically naming individuals and clubs to contact if anyone wanted to be involved with the upkeep of the Cove 2 dive site and to add input. Go back and read through it....there's some good stuff in there along with the fire and smoke. Here's the link: http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7813

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

thanks, I obviously missed that post.
----
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

BTW there are no boundary line buoys on the Cove3 side at all anymore and at least one missing on the Cove2 side (of the water taxi dock). So there are far bigger maintenance issues out there needing to be addressed right now.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

My sincere apologizes to the OP. :salute: It was just a little side note. I hope you find your Sixgills!
sheahanmcculla wrote: Side note: Did you ever figure out what the line from the sign to the suction tube was for? Almost caught 3 students Sat. Should it be distoyed???
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Back to our regularly scheduled program....

Have a GREAT dive at Mukilteo and good look on the sixgill search!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Metal man
Aquaphile

Post by Metal man »

John Rawlings wrote:
Have a GREAT dive at Mukilteo and good look on the sixgill search!

- John
Or maybe we'll find one of these :mermaid:
Gabe ~D.I.A.W.Y.C. Diver
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

ljjames wrote:Since the topic of 'enhancements' has been brought up yet again, why are people so defensive about the big lines at Cove 2 leading to the i-beams?!? Who IS responsible for putting them in? The same peeps who put the line in at the junkyard? No one has ever stepped up in any of our discussions regarding the big line to the i-beams and said "here's the research regarding safety, the approval by the community, etc..." "My group, mr's X, Y, and Z put them in, and if you bring your concerns to us, and a proposal for moving them shallower to the jackstraw pilings, we'll think about it"

Actually, there was a LONG discussion on that topic.

Talk to Randy Williams. He can give you the history, contacts, and reason why we put it there.

I would discourage you from moving any lines at Cove 2. They were put there in coordination with the folks who own the place. I can't answer for any other dive sites ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

CaptnJack wrote:BTW there are no boundary line buoys on the Cove3 side at all anymore and at least one missing on the Cove2 side (of the water taxi dock). So there are far bigger maintenance issues out there needing to be addressed right now.
Correct.

The Cove 3 buoys were removed by persons unknown after a bunch of fishing regulars started complaining about the fact that they were interfering with the fishing activity. They were never replaced (they'd just disappear again if they were).

AFAIK, issues are getting addressed. I spoke with some folks at the West Seattle meeting a couple months back who are considering some improvements ... but I doubt anything will get done about them until after the dock improvements scheduled for this winter.

For right now, a work party to clean the boundary rope would be a good thing to organize ... it's pretty well covered in detritus and silt along the upper boundary ... and with the warmer weather here, that's bound to lead to divers in the taxi zone.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/