Hello Seattle!

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Newty
Just Settling In

Hello Seattle!

Post by Newty »

Hi Everyone, I'm Kailee and I'm new to Seattle (live near Green Lake) but been diving a few times already (around 20, actually). I started diving on vacations with my boyfriend, and when we planned to move to Seattle one of the things we wanted to do was learn to dive in cold waters (all my past dives have been off of sandy beaches!). Well, a year later I'm boy-less but still want to learn to dive here! (we broke up and he didn't end up moving here with me)

One of the things I want to learn about is dry suits. I get cold even in the tropical weather and sometimes wet suits didn't fit me well around the wrists and ankles (I'm 5'7" 128lbs). do you have to get dry suits sized by a custom shop?

I love diving! I love movies about sea animals and can't wait to see some of them here. I heard that you can dive with seals near Seattle. Seals are soooo cute!

So, will anyone please help me get atuned to the chilly water here? I think I need to start out in a pool or something, since my last dive was over a year ago (is that the rule?)... lol! I am aprehnsive about the cold but otherwise very excited to learn!!! :luv:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Re: Hello Seattle!

Post by Tangfish »

Welcome to Seattle, Newty. Don't worry about the cold. You'll get used to it!

The best thing to do is to meet up with some local divers. There's a Club Dive on October 10th, which will be a great opportunity to meet people, check out gear configurations and to make new friends in the area. Hope to see you around. :clap:
Newty
Just Settling In

Post by Newty »

Thanks for the invitation "tang fish".

I do have some questions about equipment. I have a regulator setup that I bought overseas (on vacation). It's a Mares set up. I haven't used it in about a year and a half. Do I need a tune up? Does it need to be adjusted for diving here?

Also, my BCD fit me a little loose. I'm assuming that's okay if I plan to get a dry suit?
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

You found the right place to get introduced to what the PNW has to offer. It aint so cold and you will be surprised to find that the best time to dive here is in the middle of winter.
Last edited by Norris on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Welcome to NWDC Newty!

You should come join us for Munday Mukilteo Madness - you can find details in the dive planning section. Like Calvin said the club dive would be another great place to find some new dive buddies. Do you have your own gear or are you renting equipment?

Matt
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Newty wrote:Well, a year later I'm boy-less but still want to learn to dive here! (we broke up and he didn't end up moving here with me)
Do you like skinny Polish guys with a good sense of humor? :luv:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:
Newty wrote:Well, a year later I'm boy-less but still want to learn to dive here! (we broke up and he didn't end up moving here with me)
dude, you are neither skinny nor polish, and your sense of humor... oh wait, you were referring to joe, weren't you...

welcome, newty! i'm sure you'll have many local divers tripping over themselves to show you all the underwater sites soon enough!
Newty
Just Settling In

Post by Newty »

Hi Sounder,

Let's just talk about diving, until I know you better (nothing against Polish men).
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

#-o

:popcorn:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Newty wrote:Thanks for the invitation "tang fish".

I do have some questions about equipment. I have a regulator setup that I bought overseas (on vacation). It's a Mares set up. I haven't used it in about a year and a half. Do I need a tune up? Does it need to be adjusted for diving here?

Also, my BCD fit me a little loose. I'm assuming that's okay if I plan to get a dry suit?
If it's been that long it couldn't hurt to get it serviced. Most any of the dive shops near you should be able to take care of it.

How loose is "loose"? A little extra room for a dry suit can't hurt as long as you can adjust it properly, but if it hangs off you like a Charlie Chaplin outfit, that could be a problem.

Welcome to the club!!!!!!!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Welcome Newty! Unless your handle is referring to something other than you dive status, I'm fairly certain that you'll be beyond n00b in no time. The crowd here has been faboo about helping the "fresh meat" get ... moldy? Geez, that's a bad analogy.

Let me start over...

No, let me move on!

I agree with Dwashbur, too - if you haven't used your gear in awhile, it's always better to be safe, than sorry, and I'd get the important stuff checked out. Just my 2PSI.

Have fun diving!! :80sdance:
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Newty wrote:Hi Sounder,

Let's just talk about diving, until I know you better (nothing against Polish men).
Sounder's doing a little date recon for another diver on the board, actually. \:D/
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Newty wrote:Hi Sounder,

Yeah, I'm definitely not skinny or Polish... but being new to the area I figured you might like to meet a guy, who happens to be skinny and Polish. :chrisnjoe: <--

I hope you'll swing out to the club dive - should be fun. If you'd like to dive, we can make sure you have an experienced buddy to dive with. The Puget Sound is a much harder place to dive than the sandy beaches of the tropics, but with some mentoring we can get you dialed in.

Welcome to NWDC.
Dogboy
Aquaphile

Post by Dogboy »

Sounder wrote:
Sounder, I believe we are thinking along the same lines, only I was thinking more of an Asian CCR diver. What do you think the post count will be?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ok, kids, this isn't the Dating Game. i'm sure Newty has the dating thing well under control. let's stick to talking about diving...
Newty
Just Settling In

Post by Newty »

dwashbur wrote:

If it's been that long it couldn't hurt to get it serviced. Most any of the dive shops near you should be able to take care of it.

How loose is "loose"? A little extra room for a dry suit can't hurt as long as you can adjust it properly, but if it hangs off you like a Charlie Chaplin outfit, that could be a problem.

Thank you dwashbur. I was thinking that maybe I should get it service. Does it have to be sent back in to Mares? I don't think I have my receipt for it anymore, i hope that's not a problem!

My BCD is a Tusa brand. It was fine in the water but on the surface when it was inflated with my scuba tank I tended to sink down in it, if that makes any sense LOL.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Newty wrote:
dwashbur wrote:

Thank you dwashbur. I was thinking that maybe I should get it service. Does it have to be sent back in to Mares? I don't think I have my receipt for it anymore, i hope that's not a problem!

My BCD is a Tusa brand. It was fine in the water but on the surface when it was inflated with my scuba tank I tended to sink down in it, if that makes any sense LOL.
From Greenlake area, I'd pop up to NW Sports Divers in Kenmore. They're a great local shop which should be able to service your regulators for you. www.nwsportsdivers.com

As for drysuit, this guy might be able to help you out:

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

spatman wrote:ok, kids, this isn't the Dating Game. i'm sure Newty has the dating thing well under control. let's stick to talking about diving...

Party pooper. :bday:

Welcome Newty. Don't let the peanut gallery scare you off, they're harmless.

It's not a bad idea to get the reg serviced, pretty much any local shop should be able to do it for you.

If your BC is comfortable in the water, that's the most important. Sounds like it will fit will when you're wearing a thick wetsuit or drysuit.

Diving here is a little different than diving in warm clear water. Definitely get out with somebody experienced for your first few dives.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Dogboy wrote: Sounder, I believe we are thinking along the same lines, only I was thinking more of an Asian CCR diver.
I'm taken. :angelblue:
Dogboy
Aquaphile

Post by Dogboy »

Tangfish wrote:
Dogboy wrote: Sounder, I believe we are thinking along the same lines, only I was thinking more of an Asian CCR diver.
I'm taken. :angelblue:
Who said it was you? The angel does make you sound guilty however.
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Newty,

You asked about seals. Last year just after I got my roommate certified we were doing a dive at the Mukilteo T – Dock when she started beating on my arm. She thought I had been messing with her fins but when she turned around to look there was a seal playing with her fin straps. She is still telling the story to everyone.

It would be a good idea to have your regulator checked out. Because you are combining not diving in a year with diving in an unfamiliar environment doing a refresher or rusty diver class is a good idea. You could also take a drysuit class. The club dive or regular Monday (north) or Thursday (south) would be great ways to gain local knowledge. Sungurl asked a question about “semi dry vs dry” in the gear section which is worth reading if you are thinking about a drysuit.

Welcome to the club.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Welcome to the NWDC :thumb3d:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Welcome! Seals are definitely fun. There are some divers that complain that the seals mess up the visibility, to which I answer, "Yeah, but you're diving with freaking seals!"

Definitely get your gear serviced and hook up with the experienced divers on this board for some mentoring on diving in these cold, dark waters. The club dive, as previously mentioned, would be an outstanding time to do so. All but one of my dive buddies I met here.

And yes, we're rowdy, but we mean well!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
sungurl
Aquaphile

Post by sungurl »

Welcome to the dive club! And to the PNW.....You'll find lots of folks here eager to help you out (personal and diving life, lol as you have already found). Serioulsy everyone has a great sense of humor, but they are also super kind and friendly and eager to help us newbie divers to enjoy ourselves and stay safe! Don't be shy about asking questions, and yes, you should definitely come to the club dive :)
Welcome again!!!!
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

spatman wrote:ok, kids, this isn't the Dating Game. i'm sure Newty has the dating thing well under control. let's stick to talking about diving...
I concur, plus love is a natural thing that shouldn't be pushed around :extinguishflame: . Maybe we should just have a diver dating forum hahaha :smt064

:offtopic:

It seems there is a larger intake of beautiful female divers on this forum in the past few weeks..... :luv: :joshsmith:

I believe the recomendation is every year (except for some regs like atomic which is 2 years) to have your reg and basically any gear checked and or replace some parts (o rings and such) that is my 2psi

Oh and welcome to the forum, these guys....i think some of em have been narc'd :snorkel: more than once....... :partyman: :smt064 just kidding guys!! :neener: You rock! :dj: :norris: